Ridgid Vacuum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jj1949

Aug 12, 2008
ND
I have a Ridgid 4 gallon wet/dry vac that I'm using for my pellet stove. There of course is no bag filters for this model but I was wondering if anyone had make shifted a drywall bag to work in a vac of this sort. Hepa filter for this seems to be failing me as I have found a small amount of soot that escapes through the exhaust of the canister even with a clean filter. Any suggestions would be great...Thanks

Before I found the hepa for my shop vac. I was putting a small bag filter over my canister filter as I don't want to put the ash in a bag. I want to just be able to dump right out of the vac into the garden.

You could see it there is a drywall filter that will fit over the canister filter you have.

I tried searching rigid for there filters. But there site doesn't really help. Maybe try searching there site with the model number from the vacuum you are using.

jay

MacMan...no it's different, seems my canister is more squarish than yours. I called ridgid and they said they didn't make a drywall filter for this vac and wouldn't say yah or nay if one of their other rigid bags could possibly work. I'm going to try a bag from HD. rigid and see if I can't make it work. This black sooty crap is for the birds and if I don't do something now I'll be painting come spring..yuk! Thanks all for your input, always appreciate your quick responses.

jj, is it feasible to buy 1 or 2 more hoses, join them together and put the vac outside? i put mine out the sliding door and do my cleaning dust free.

jj1949 said:
I have a Ridgid 4 gallon wet/dry vac that I'm using for my pellet stove. There of course is no bag filters for this model but I was wondering if anyone had make shifted a drywall bag to work in a vac of this sort. Hepa filter for this seems to be failing me as I have found a small amount of soot that escapes through the exhaust of the canister even with a clean filter. Any suggestions would be great...Thanks

I use the 6 gallon with hepa filter, see no problems

I have the 6 gallon model and I use a washable hepa filter, had the filter for over a year now and still in good shape. You just need to make sure you keep it clean buy knocking out the ash after every other use and rinsing it off after a while. No problem with dust on mine.

Ridgid has several filters, one of them actually lists fireplace ashes as a material suitable for that particular filter. I used Ridgids with that filter with no secondary filter to clean 6+ stoves per day 5 days per week and never had a dust issue.

We have used Ridgid Vacs for all types of clean-up. Good for the money. We also found replacement filters for a lot less than at the store. Try totalvac.com
Never had a problem with these filters GK Brand.

What I used to do before buying a ash vac is take a old t-shirt and cut it apart so I could put it over my shop vac filter. I would wet it down and wring it out very well and then rubber band it onto the paper filter making sure the filter is completely covered. This works very well and can also be used for sucking up drywall dust and having it stick to the wet t-shirt. When you hear the vac laboring, as you would when a paper filter got clogged, I just wash the t-shirt and start over if I have more to do. I works very well and you don’t need to buy special filter covers. If you do this the shirt needs to be just damp and not dripping wet.

Bkins

PS I copied this from another post that I answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.