Riding Mower (Kolher engine) problem UPDATED - Changed out Ignition Coil and success!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's probably your kill switch wire(grounds through ignition switch to stop engine spark). And yes if its grounding out it will cause it to quit.
Does it look like the tube that it passes into is chewed as well?
If you replace just the small section with a butt splice make sure its away from the heat.
Tie wrap the replaced section away from the engine block.

BASOD said:
That's probably your kill switch wire(grounds through ignition switch to stop engine spark). And yes if its grounding out it will cause it to quit.
Does it look like the tube that it passes into is chewed as well?
If you replace just the small section with a butt splice make sure its away from the heat.
Tie wrap the replaced section away from the engine block.

Thanks BASOD. The bare wire is only part of the total length of the wire. The other half of the wire is fine as far as the insulation and rubber jacket. I think I'll wrap the wire with some electical tape and re-attach the coil and let it run for a while. This will confirm if it's the wire or the coil. I'll post the results later.

had the same prob on a two cylinder kawi. Changed the bad coil. No more problems.

It's the Ignition Coil for sure.

I wrapped the bare wire at first. Connected the battery and started it. It ran for a half hour or so and I decided to turn it off. Then I did a few on/off cycles and it worked. I was thinking maybe it was the bare wire. Waited about 10 minutes after the last sucessful start and it would not start.

I just ordered the part online and it should be here by Friday!

Jags said:
Cool beans. I love it when a plan comes together.

Sure does... short of having all the proper instruments to test the output of the coil, I guess the manual, long, approach to confirming the problem is the next best thing. :)

stejus said:
Jags said:

Sure does... short of having all the proper instruments to test the output of the coil, I guess the manual, long, approach to confirming the problem is the next best thing. :)

Baaa..it was ONLY a 4 page thread. :lol:

Jags said:
stejus said:
Jags said:

Baaa..it was ONLY a 4 page thread. :lol:

If you were a little closer I'd of brought my megger over and we could have fixed it a few posts ago.

Finally got the part installed and it started successfully, stayed running and no problems! Thanks all for guiding me to this as this is my first ingnition coil change! Using the trailer to load the weekly wood rack is a heck of a lot easier and faster than the old standby wheelbarrel!

Attachments

• Ignition Coil change.jpg
    Ignition Coil change.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 929
  • Wood run.jpg
    Wood run.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 805
Status
Not open for further replies.