RIGHT NOW in the R&D;Lab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspense :mad:

Come on you guys are killing us..............................

And whatever happened to the pre-production prototype for field testing Corie said he was sending me? :cheese:

precaud said:
And whatever happened to the pre-production prototype for field testing Corie said he was sending me? :cheese:

It burned down the lab?

Well no wonder we haven't heard from him in a while...

I'll bet that is the 4.2 cu ft, cat stove with thermostat that he promised us a looooong time ago. (hmmmm....maybe that was actually a dream I had, dunno). Anyhow - that would be cool.

Nope, it's a replacement for the 12, single-rail secondary, big glass front, EPA-compliant.

Am I crazy, or did I read that the CTCs on the 30 are smaller than those on the 13?!

The 17-NC

Attachments

• 17-lc.jpg
    17-lc.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 666
I heard from a second cousin's BFF who was married to my ex-aunt three times removed that the new stove will be steel with decorative cast iron ornaments and soapstone on the top and sides . . . it has an optional cat or you can use the secondary combustion . . . it comes in every color . . . and someone with Englander will even come to your home to automatically load the stove when it needs to be loaded up. ;) :)

So seriously . . . when are we going to see this new stove . . . the real stove???

Looks like an angled top refractory panel with a line of holes toward the bottom for the secondary air to squirt in and for the secondary flames to heat up the panel like a glow plug. Very nice effect to take that radiant heat from the orange-hot refractory panel and direct it out into the room.

Way to spoil Corie's surprise, BB.

I'm impressed. Even I like the looks of it. Of course, it is kinda Morsoish. ;-)

Seriously. I'd love to know the timeframe on this stove. I've got a perfect spot in my soon to be finished kitchen that needs a good small EPA stove. Any word on when this thing will be released? I'd been PM'ing him a year or so ago on this stove but never did get any specs at the time. Mike, anything you can share with us either in Corie's absence? Sorry but this stove would be perfect for me and I've been holding off buying anything else just to wait for this stove.

Eric

Eric said:
Seriously. I'd love to know the timeframe on this stove. I've got a perfect spot in my soon to be finished kitchen that needs a good small EPA stove. Any word on when this thing will be released? I'd been PM'ing him a year or so ago on this stove but never did get any specs at the time. Mike, anything you can share with us either in Corie's absence? Sorry but this stove would be perfect for me and I've been holding off buying anything else just to wait for this stove.

Eric

Call up Lowe's and tell'em ya want one.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=213081-76845-50-SVL17LC&lpage=none

BrotherBart said:
Eric said:

Eric

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=213081-76845-50-SVL17LC&lpage=none
That was fast. Thanks! Any chance there are specs/clearances/manual posted somewhere? I need to design the hearth now so it'll accomodate this stove.

Eric

Eric said:
BrotherBart said:
Eric said:

Eric

That was fast. Thanks! Any chance there are specs/clearances/manual posted somewhere? I need to design the hearth now so it'll accomodate this stove.

Eric

http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/manuals/17-VL.pdf

There appears to be quite a premium on price compared to what the other Englander stoves sell for. Many of us picked up the big boy 30 for less than that.

Matt

BrotherBart said:

I'm probably missing something here, but how can the distance from the flue collar to the back wall be 12" for single wall pipe when the pipe itself has a minimum of 18" clearance to combustibles? And doesn't a current US hearth pad require 18" in front of the stove glass?

Attachments

• NC17clear2.jpg
    NC17clear2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 531
  • nc17pad.jpg
    nc17pad.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 586
I think there is some confusion here about default versus tested clearances. If the default clearances were the closest we could get, what would be the point of performing safety clearance testing in the first place? The whole idea behind doing product clearance testing is to (hopefully) establish that your unit can be installed closer to a combustible than 36.0" and that you can (again, hopefully) get the single wall chimney connector closer than 18.0" to a combustible.

Remember, the dimensions in the manual are based on the actual test results and are not based on anything from NFPA 211.

Also, regarding the floor protector, remember that the 18.0" is again from NFPA 211. This is still technically a default number for stoves without a listed number from how I (and the test agencies see it).

The floor protector is designed for two things: spark and ember protection and thermal protection from the heat of the stove. Some localities may require the end user to construct a hearth that is 18.0" past of the front of the unit, but this would only be for an additional 2.0" of ember protection. The maximum floor temperature occurs much closer than 18.0" from the stove.

I hope that clarifies everything.

Hey Corie, thanks for chiming in. I am really confused here. The pipe manufacturer establishes clear installation clearances for single wall pipe according to national code. Why would the manual be instructing the user to install closer than code allows for the connector? Is Englander recommending that NFPA 211 single wall pipe clearances be ignored when installing this stove? I could see this reduced clearance if the manual specified with a wall shield or with pipe shielding for the single wall, but that is not apparent in the chart.

I can't think of another case of this.

BrotherBart said:
Eric said:

Eric

The link doesn't work anymore. Does anyone about what these are priced at?

$939. Lowe's moved the page. Go to their site and search "wood stoves".

Status
Not open for further replies.