Right $ numbers to get baseboard elements in basement ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
I'm still debating whether to install pellet stove in my finished 700 sq.ft. in-ground basement space, the 2nd option would be to get a 3rd zone from my oil furnace and install baseboard hot water radiators/elements along 2 of the walls. I already have a pellet stove on 1st floor on my 2-story colonial house, when house was built it came with baseboard hot water radiators.

A guy quoted me the following for the 3rd zone, this includes labor and parts and said it would be around 2 days and a half labor:

-33 feet element
-13 feet 'dummy' baseboard (no heat element but something to cover the copper pipes running along the molding, walls and floor are already finished, so....)
-thermostat (need to sneak wire through drop ceiling to other side of room, etc)
-around 50 or 60 feet of piping (I forgot exactly)
-addign a 2nd distributor to handle the hot water demand (boiler has one circulator and he said a 2nd one is a must)
-labor

Total price: $1,775.00

I don't know much about this and doesn't it sound like a lot??

The man has over 30 years experience, he said he's been working on field since 1971. Also mentioned his rate for doing boiler cleaning is higher than average because he takes his time to do things right.

Lastly, on the other hand a new pellet stove could cost about $1575 (Santa Fe) plus labor and parts....
I don't really have the cash to do either right now but could buy a pellet stove this month on a credit card (promotion ending end of month). This guy only takes cash/check.

Anyways, is $1775 a 'reasonable' price ?

It is very hard to tell if that is a reasonable price because I don't know the specifics on your heating system. I paid about that much to add a second zone and replum feeds. I would recommend getting 3 quotes. I did that and got alot of variation in price.

Yes, always get 3 quotes. Unfortunately, you will probably be in this range and still have the same quandary.

What about a used pellet stove?

What about a new or used wood stove until you have the cash for a pellet? You can always reused the wood stove chimney.

still thinking ...........

Status
Not open for further replies.