Right of way score + tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Realstone

Lord of Fire
The first van load of hopefully more to come. They are widening a main road south of us and the tree fellers' said I can take what I want :cool:

Here's the proof:

IMGP0001.jpg
IMGP0001.jpg
[/IMG]

Can someone identify this?

IMGP0003.jpg
IMGP0003.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm not familiar with Basswood but from what I can gather...

What else is over there?

Yeah - looks like Basswood. Have cut and burned some. Try to avoid - good for shoulder seasons and kindling. Light as a feather when dry and dries fast.

Yeah - looks like Basswood. Have cut and burned some. Try to avoid - good for shoulder seasons and kindling. Light as a feather when dry and dries fast.
Ah well, at least I will have some dry wood for the fall. On another note, another tree service advertised on Kijiji for free sugar maple. He will be cutting it into 14" rounds for me (see stove in signature below) and it is about a 20 minute drive. Picking it up this afternoon ==c

If I'm lucky, this will be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yup . . . as others have said . . . the bark and leaves "say" basswood . . . and as Backwoods mentioned . . . good for the shoulder seasons or for kindling, but not a highly desirable wood for a wood burner. When it dries out it will be quite light in weight.

I'm not familiar with Basswood but from what I can gather...

What else is over there?
Wide variety, mostly hardwood. Mostly 1' in diameter & less, but some larger trees. Some maple. I will probably take pics for ID when it comes available. Thanks for the basswood ID, BTW.

Yup . . . as others have said . . . the bark and leaves "say" basswood . . . and as Backwoods mentioned . . . good for the shoulder seasons or for kindling, but not a highly desirable wood for a wood burner. When it dries out it will be quite light in weight.
Some was already dried out. It was so light, I thought is was punky and left it there.

I cut a downed basswood which we planned on burning in the shoulder season, ended up making kindling out of it. If we did not have better choices and it was free this guy would burn it.

Flame It
Zap

As for that free sugar maple, GO GET ALL OF IT! Almost as good as oak, but season's a little faster. Big difference between silver maple and sugar maple, silver maple is good for daytime and shoulder season, sugar is good for overnighters.

Reactions: Realstone
I have close to a cord of bass wood stacked for next year.
It was tall and straight maybe 20" round nice and clean.

It cannot be any worse then the cotton wood I had last year.
It burns.

I had the same results when I scored some Willow. I could have all I wanted but it's hardly worth a damn in the dead of winter. It's taking up residence in the '2yrs ahead' stacks right now.

Bass is not really bad. No, it won't hold a fire like oak but it will give you some heat. Best burned during daytime or even better, fall and spring. If you know anyone in the area who likes to whittle, offer some bass wood and that should make them smile big time.

As for that sugar maple, that is fantastic!!!

It cannot be any worse then the cotton wood I had last year.
BTU looks to be about the same for both.
Bass is not really bad. No, it won't hold a fire like oak but it will give you some heat. Best burned during daytime or even better, fall and spring.
How soon will he have to replace his door hinges, burning that stuff? ;lol

Did a little better this afternoon.

IMGP0007.jpg
IMGP0007.jpg
[/IMG]

IMGP0005.jpg
IMGP0005.jpg
[/IMG]

The tree feller, Woody Arbor I think was his name (says he is the branch manager) asked me how far I would drive for free wood ==c
I could only load about half in my truck. The guy was kind enough to drop off the rest (lower picture).
If there are any here in the GTA interested in some free future scores, PM me, I will hook you up with this guy.

On a side note, I was backpacking in Shenandoah National Park with my 7th grade daughter and i wanted to show her how to make a bow drill fire. Since we camped in a canyon along a creek, basswood was abundant. We gathered some dead branches and carved the drill and board out of the basswood and were able to make an effective coal from that tree. We have a lot of Atlantic white cedar here in S. Jersey and i usually use that species for fire by friction demonstations, but the basswood was a great substitute.

Status
Not open for further replies.