1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Right on schedule

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Backwoods Savage, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Today being December 1 traditionally starts our cutting season so today, I got started. When I got up this morning it was doubtful. Back really screamed at me and one hip acted up causing a limp. So, I didn't get out until late. Wife and I first went for a walk to see if we could find a Christmas tree for us and we did but I'll cut that maybe sometime this next week.

Last July we, like many others, had a bad windstorm. I have several trees down but so have others. I talked to a friend who owns property across the road from us asking about some large white oak blocks and even a log that were just laying and rotting. He said to take them so we got one small load last week. During our discussion he also mentioned he really wanted to get out and cut some pine limbs that were down but, of course, nobody burns pine so he'd have to do it. No problem! I can take care of that for you. Its the least I could do for allowing me to get that oak. Here are some pictures of 2 large limbs that were down. Naturally the pictures make them look smaller than they are.

White pine-4.JPG White pine-3.JPG

White pine-5.JPG White pine-2.JPG

White pine-1.JPG

I did not get at the limb of top 2 pictures. The other one I got cut up but not brought home. Body simply gave out. I did count just for kicks and we got 50 logs 16" long off that one limb. The other will be a bit less I think.

So, right on schedule, we got started cutting wood on December 1. Do you suppose if someone would have seen me cutting they would have thought I should be in the nut house? lol They may have been right! Others might wonder if I'm just getting started cutting wood for this winter. Ha!
    AJS56, rdust, corey21 and 8 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Way to go ..................and it helped a neighbor to boot
    A two in one shot
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. Trundle

Trundle Member

Loc:
    Western MT
    Way to get after it Backwoods. What kind of Christmas tree? Around here i usually look for a 6 or 7 ft. Grand fir. Smells great.
  4. timusp40

timusp40 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Dennis,
    Being several years ahead such as yourself, this is the perfect time to think of cutting. No leaves, sap has stopped flowing, bug are gone, and you won't sweat your hind end off cutting. Makes perfect sense to me.
  5. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    Dennis which of those pictures is going to be your Christmas tree?:)
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Nice work Sav, you have some nice weather for it.

zap
    Backwoods Savage, Thistle and ScotO like this.
  7. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    If you belong in the nut house, lots of us here do :) LOL
    Of course you are cutting wood for this year, you need this year, & next year & the year after that for it to season & dry well. ;)

Nice pics
    If you remember, try to get a few pics of trimming a log & limbs so when you split it, you get good splits ;)
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Looking good, Dennis. I love to cut in the winter. Heck, I love cutting ALL YEAR LONG! I got lots of tree jobs lined up, just as soon as I get the living room done for Christmas!
    Backwoods Savage and Thistle like this.
  9. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Yep been doing the same thing the last couple of weekends, ( sorry camera is out of commission at present) Cord plus of red oak, just shy of a cord of cherry Little hard maple and some ash. And just ran into a huge old hickory log 36 +inches apx. in diameter and about 8 ft long and there are several smaller sections under it. That is todays project if it doesnt rain. Dec 2nd 6am and 58 degs outside. When the temps get back to normal it is going to really feel cold. ( normal would be high 20's)
  10. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Looks great,Dennis. Perfect day for cutting.I enjoy cutting year-round (though if I really had to choose it would be Fall or early Winter).
    AJS56, Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  11. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Way to go Dennis, You just don't stop, no matter what the body says. I say its mind over muscle. If I don't mind the pain then I will muscle through.
  12. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY

23 days brother! Lets get crackin!

Got any progress pics?
  13. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Good work Dennis. Thanks for the pics. Going to warm up for a few days I see. I hope to be out in the woods for a few days myself coming soon.
  14. ScotO

ScotO Guest

15. infinitymike

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Backwoods Savage, evilgriff and ScotO like this.
  16. evilgriff

evilgriff Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern New Jersey
    I've stll got 2 ash and a hickory on top of my smashed shed (pix in another thread). Been whittling at it when I have free time. I will be out there today, one saw with new chain, the other just sharpened. Between work, wife, child, holidays and weather it's going to take time. Funny I never thought I would like working out in the cold but this type of work is the exception. Granted it's 40 degrees here (not cold to others on here).
  17. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Nice work.
  18. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    It is great to work out in the cold. Really makes you feel even more alive! Of course the type of work is important. I like the kind where I am moving around a bit, or a lot. Then you have to start unzipping things to not get to hot. Other times I have to peel the outer layer off because I start sweating up a storm. If I am sitting on the tractor and not doing much physical moving I usually put the Carhart bibs on, them babies will keep you warm.
    Thistle, ScotO, AJS56 and 1 other person like this.
  19. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'm fairly certain you and I are somehow related, Thistle........I feel the exact same way!
    we must have been separated at birth or something.......;)
    Thistle and AJS56 like this.
  20. rottiman

rottiman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Dennis, the stiff joints are mother natures way of reminding us to be a little more careful when we go out to play. Amazing how many times this year, while out there cutting, I have shut the saw off, sat down on a stump and took a few minutes to enjoy being in the bush at the same time recharging my "operational batteries". Enjoy your cutting season.
    Thistle, ScotO, AJS56 and 2 others like this.
  21. wishlist

wishlist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Corunna, Michigan
    Nut house? Not for getting wood when its close and helping a neighbor out to boot! Of course, vertical splitting will get you a penthouse suite at the nut house. Lol....... Way to go Dennis, any luck with the whitetails? ;)
    ScotO, AJS56 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  22. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Scotch will be the Christmas tree. The one in the pictures is white pine.
    ScotO likes this.
  23. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    ;lol Would need to figure out how to build a really stout stand for sure. Need to cut a hole in the roof too.
    ScotO likes this.
  24. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Rotti, it is a poor man who can't do this! I love the times I shut the saw down and just relax for a few minutes.
    ScotO, AJS56, evilgriff and 1 other person like this.
  25. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Next year on the whitetails. My agreement before season. Big or nothing. I'm actually happy to not get one this year as it would have taxed both the wife and I putting up the meat. Not the first time I've eaten tag soup either.
    ScotO likes this.