Right on schedule

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotch will be the Christmas tree. The one in the pictures is white pine.

I did that one year.Had an empty Scotch bottle,taped some sprigs from Juniper shrubs in front yard for the greenery on it.Plus when Christmas was over it was a fine candleholder for New Year's Eve.

I did that one year.Had an empty Scotch bottle,taped some sprigs from Juniper shrubs in front yard for the greenery on it.Plus when Christmas was over it was a fine candleholder for New Year's Eve.

LOL ;lol I was just thinking the same thing thistle.
images

Reactions: Thistle

Attachments

• P1010898.JPG
    P1010898.JPG
    251.8 KB · Views: 85
  • P1010899.JPG
    P1010899.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 92
  • P1010900.JPG
    P1010900.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 93
  • P1010902.JPG
    P1010902.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 89
Dennis if you need a hand cutting anything this year let me know! :)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Today being December 1 traditionally starts our cutting season so today, I got started. When I got up this morning it was doubtful. Back really screamed at me and one hip acted up causing a limp. So, I didn't get out until late. Wife and I first went for a walk to see if we could find a Christmas tree for us and we did but I'll cut that maybe sometime this next week.

Last July we, like many others, had a bad windstorm. I have several trees down but so have others. I talked to a friend who owns property across the road from us asking about some large white oak blocks and even a log that were just laying and rotting. He said to take them so we got one small load last week. During our discussion he also mentioned he really wanted to get out and cut some pine limbs that were down but, of course, nobody burns pine so he'd have to do it. No problem! I can take care of that for you. Its the least I could do for allowing me to get that oak. Here are some pictures of 2 large limbs that were down. Naturally the pictures make them look smaller than they are.

I did not get at the limb of top 2 pictures. The other one I got cut up but not brought home. Body simply gave out. I did count just for kicks and we got 50 logs 16" long off that one limb. The other will be a bit less I think.

So, right on schedule, we got started cutting wood on December 1. Do you suppose if someone would have seen me cutting they would have thought I should be in the nut house? lol They may have been right! Others might wonder if I'm just getting started cutting wood for this winter. Ha!

Good work helping out the neighbor with the pine. Always the right thing to do IMO. And I know what you mean about the aches. My back is just now feeling better after pulling a muscle in Oct. I always try to take it easy and not overdo it. I'm semi-retired so it's easier to pick my days and spread it out a little. I remember what it was like when working full-time, rasing kids, etc., as I'm sure many on here still do.

Do you burn the pine? I don't have or get much, but have no problem with some of for the shoulder seasons.

AJ, yes, we'll burn it but not this year. Although perhaps we could burn it this year as I was amazed at how dry it is.

They say I'm retired but I've been so tired for so many years I don't see how it can be re-tired.

Reactions: AJS56 and zap
Another few hours of cutting, gotta keep going a little at a time. 45 degrees, nice temp. Nose sprocket on chainsaw locked up, tomorrows another day.

Wow Griff. That did some damage. Hard cutting when they are like that too. However, it is not all bad. You got some really good firewood. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.