Right silicone for rain shield on chimney pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schweinhundert

Sep 5, 2010
urantia
I used some PL roof and flashing polyurethane sealant to gum my flashing to my roof and also used the same stuff to seal the rain shield to the pipe. I bought a tube of hi-temp silicone for the rain shield job but just spaced out and forgot to use it. Didn't even notice til I saw the tube sitting in my house today. Doh!

How hot does pipe get way up there (8 feet above stove, double walled ICC pipe inside and outside), and will the sealant I used be ok, or should I strip it off and redo it?
Thanks!

silicone, works fine

I'd strip off the PL polyurethane sealant from the rain collar. It's ok for the roof flashing seal, but it has a much lower flash point and is not recommended for applications over 200 °F. For the storm collar seal, a regular, good quality silicone does the job. If you have high-temp, that will work too.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
if you mean class a chimney your fine, folks use roofing tar all the time w/o issue(i still recomend other sealants for durability)
i have seen customers use interior double walled pipe as thier class a, so thats why i ask

It's class A outside, ja.

I used the high temp on mine. It's really good stuff. I use it for non high temp applications also. The only downfall is it is RED so be sure you are neat in it's application as it will show.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.