Rigid Liner Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
Does anyone have any tricks for installing a rigid liner on a tall chimney? I plan on riveting 2 sections together before putting them down the chimney. I've heard of using rope for support but i'm not sure how to do it. I am putting 8-4' sections down and suspect there will be alot of weight to deal with.

I haven't done it but I would run a rope through the sections with a piece of wood tee'd under the bottom section. Then just lower it one section at a time tying off the rope while I was adding sections. If you are doing it as a one man job.

Probably better ways to do it. Since I always seem to do things the hard way. :red:

Dad is going to help me, but I don't want him on the roof if possible. What I am worried about is something letting go when I go to rivet the sections together and the thing falls. Thats where I thought if dad was on the ground with a rope somehow he could help balance the load. I might be able to make something that will clamp around it like a flare tool.

If you are using a top plate that has a band to tighten around the pipe. Just use it for the support. Clamp it down, add a section. Un-clamp and lower. Lather, rinse and repeat.

The liner moves freely through the topplate. There will be a base to support the liner from below. They said that when the liner heats, it can expand in length. If the top plate is clamped to the liner, it could push off the top of the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.