Rigid re-line?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn-1

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2006
Lakes Region, NH
I recently picked a nice used PE Vista which I will be placing in our living room for evening, morning and weekend fires. This will be going into a fireplace with a 12x12 flue so I will need to re-line. Its a straight run, no offsets, ~17 ft interior chimney. I see where many on the forum have done flex liner re-lines, but I am looking for feedback from anyone who has done a rigid liner re-line DIY or had one installed. With the fairly small dimensions of the fireplace opening, the Vista will fit ok but I will probably be going rigid to flex to an appliance connector rather than a tee.

Despite the interior chimney location and the straight, smooth-walled advantages of rigid for draft, with a small to medium height chimney I am probably going to insulate. Chimney Liner Depot sells pre-insulated rigid and it doesn't seem to be a huge premium over buying the liner and insulation separately. Any ideas or advice is appreciated

Paging Mr. Wildz to the lobby. Call in the lobby for Hogwildz.

I ran Dura Vent Dura Liner pre insulated double wall from the top of the old flew to the first flue tile, then DuraLiner flex from the rigid to the stove collar.
Installed by myself, and I am very happy with the liner I chose. Rigid is sturdy, cleans easy, and is insulated between the inner & outer shells.
It is heavy, and you have to devise a clamp system to hold it in place as you assemble each section to the previous & lower it down ready for the next section, and fasten the next. It is not that bad, I ended up finishing in the dark.
Each section has I think it was 3or 4 s.s. rivets. Cost me about $1,080.00 including delivery. 5' of flex at the bottom, about 22' rigid up to top which it sticks out about 1-1/2'. Called Dura Vent, and the gentleman there returned my call, told me the part numbers I needed, and was super helpful. For me, manufacturer support means everything, no support, no business from me.
I say if you can, and have the extra moola, rigid with flex from the first flue tile to the stove is the way to go. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.