Rigid shop vac mod (Pic) and VT Renewable Fuels (Pellet Mill acquisition)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Last year I used my Power Smith vac but am unhappy with the hepa bag filter. While it is easy to clean the exterior outside of the filter bag...I can't really say that it gets very clean. Worse, I found that no matter how careful I am, the inside some how gets dirty......so I am back to my trusty shop vac/bag and blue Hepa filter. When I removed the old filter I noticed that part of the inside of the filter was dark......???? So, this year I added a small Hepa filter to the exhaust. Will post pics after 1/2 dozen cleanings.
Vermont Renewable Fuels is who I get my bulk fed pellets (VT Soffties) the last three years. While I love them,very low ash!!! I am going to try the new version of the original Queston/802 softwood pellets. VRF apparently bought the mill, refitted and tweeked the process and began bulk-fill and bag deliverys Oct 1. I should bet my bulk-fill in the next 10 days....

Bill

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 302
Reactions: Ranger72
Nice! I use the same vac. I bought a hose for the exhaust and run it into a bucket with wet rags just in case. Haha. I also use the best filter and dust bags.

Ranget72..out of curiosity, are there any "bag" options as far as collecting fine particulilt? For my size Rigid, I have only seen the VF3503.
Thanks, Bill

Yes. The yellow drywall dust bags. I have to buy some new ones soon. I'll post pics then.

Before I began using the dust bags I'd still get a tiny bit of film on the inside of the exhaust port over time, even with the best filter.

A poster last year said he/she used a wet sock over the exhaust and it worked well to eliminate any ash dust getting into the air.

Did you get your bulk fill yet from VRF? I also use them and love the Vermont softies, but from what I understand they will be using product from their own mill this year as well. I have been trying to get a fill up since August and they have been waiting to get their mill online. Good thing oil is $2 or else I would be upset!

Luvme......Yes from VRF. I had a "refill" order from last year for the softies but changed the order to the new pellets this summer. I know that the new pellets are coming from the former (Queston) mill. The last email I got from Chip, the driver was that all the final tweaking to the production line would be done so that a Oct 1st delivery process would then start...In a recent phone call, I was told again that I was on there list......Don't know about "bag" trucks but last year they only had 1 bulk fill truck...and they deliver all the way to the Canadian border.
Bill

I'm officially up and burning for the season! VRF filled me up with a bulk 3+ tons of their new softies from the old queston mill. I'm looking forward to watching how they burn and how much ash they have. I will keep you posted!

Reactions: Peterfield
I'm officially up and burning for the season! VRF filled me up with a bulk 3+ tons of their new softies from the old queston mill. I'm looking forward to watching how they burn and how much ash they have. I will keep you posted!

Hey Luvme....bunch of questions. What date you get your bulk fill and how far away are you from the Queston Mill? A month ago VRF told me they had just finished tweaking the production process of the new softies and that deliverys would start almost immediately. The other day (16th) I get an IM from Chip the Pellet driver who tells me that the tweaking just ended and they have just fired up the plant for full production and that he was just now scheduling his customers.......Did your order come from a previous tweek? I am over 100 miles north of the plant so I'm not sure if I will get my order before Thanksgiving....They must have at least 2 bulk-fill trucks by now because there also delivering the Vermont Softwood Pellets in bulk-fill.
Glad you got yours, hope we like them....Bill

Bill- mine delivery just came this week and is from the most recent tweak. From what I understand they had issues with their debarker as well as formula but you just got their testing back and have it where they need to be. I'm sure chip will be reaching out soon or you can call the shop. I'm about 50 miles from the plant.
I don't believe they are delivering bulk Vermont softies this year. They had planned to but I believe their relationship with them went south when they became a direct competitor. They do have 2 trucks but one is a tractor trailer size and they only use that for some of their commercial customers I believe.

I'm hoping you get your delivery soon and I'll let you know what I think of the I rial quality after a few days of burning.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.