ripleys belive it or not isle royal solved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack_90125

Jan 9, 2011
NE Iowa
well got out the soot eater and climbed on up.dropped it in and dropped about 18 feet and stopped.hmmm got out the other soot eater and if I go thru the top load I can get the soot eater up but could not go further got a light in the bottom and went back up with the drill and powered up slide up and down up and down and rip WTF wife yells up see it ,I got it. plastic bag. my professional installer left one of the six inch stove pipes wrapped in plastic which killed the purpose of the flu. good thing I did not load up the stove!!
so since it will be cooler this weekend will try again.
I knew it could not be clogged yea right.
thanks

Glad you got that cleared out.

Note to installer - leave the substance (pot, booze , whatever) at home.

Sounds like my gutter on the back of the house. Overflowed since day one. When I had them all replaced this year the installer found a Pepsi bottle halfway down in the old downspout.

Glad you got the pipe cleared out.

Goes to show ,, never doubt.. Glad you both found your issues, and shame on the installers! Just goes to show you who not to use again...I'd call them to let them know what was found..

Is there any chance a plastic bag was used to plug the flue?
If the pipe was still wrapped in plastic, wouldn't you have seen it? I don't get it.

Reactions: Ashful
Glad it all worked out. Now you just need some cold weather so you can see first-hand what a powerful heater the Isle Royale is.

A local mason in the southern Maine area reportedly used to place a piece of glass in the fireplaces he built, once he was paid, he dropped a brick down the flue.

I couldnt personally verify that one but did witness our fireplace in our old house. It didnt appear to be used and my father wasnt aware that the chimney should have been swept first so he tried to use it. It was a major pain to get burning and we usually smoked the house out. Finally he took the damper plate out and got covered with soot where he found a charred pine board covering about 90% of the shelf above the damper. After breaking it in pieces and removing it, the fireplace worked a lot better.

Reactions: charly and Ashful
oh yea got a hold of him and showed up.couldn't explain it and neither could we..do not know how anyone misses that.
he;s about the only one who deals with it around here.almost 1000 done and never a problem til now. but that is my luck whenever I have something done or fixed it always goes south. I am just lucky I guess.at least it wasn't winter yet and had to put the gas on.

Thats good news. Wait till you crank that bad boy up.

image.png

Reactions: Todd 2
That is unreal, glad you figured it out, I can see why you were really in question of the new stove.
This is why I am a big on doing things myself when able and knowing.
You should notice a big difference next fire up. happy happy happy !

I must be missing something here.

If it was a new install, I'm not sure why you would be cleaning it. If it's not a new install, wouldn't absolutely all the smoke have backed up into the house whenever you tried to light it?

Regardless, I'm glad you got that figured out before burning season!

it was a new stove install replacing a smoke dragon and the chimney was cleaned before hand so known good.after the swap we tried to light and some caught and yes smoke pored into the house.hence the problem was with the new stove as everything else was the same and checked.

I must be missing something here.

If it was a new install, I'm not sure why you would be cleaning it. If it's not a new install, wouldn't absolutely all the smoke have backed up into the house whenever you tried to light it?

Regardless, I'm glad you got that figured out before burning season!

Status
Not open for further replies.