ripping up ceramic tile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingcow

Minister of Fire
Jun 4, 2008
northern-half of maine
Whats the best way to rip up ceramic kitchen tile. We had one area that was easy, but the rest is coming up hard. using a 2lb hammer with a chisel made for the job. But most of the tile are down really good. I am thinking of renting/buying a electric chisel, like a Hilti drill/chisel? Any thoughts?

Floor or countertop? If it's the floor I would rent a tile stripper. Counter, possibly a small electric demo hammer.

Put a layer of subfloor over the old tile floor, and be done with it LOL.
You may end actually needing to put a thin layer of new subfloor sheeting over depending on how clan you get the old subfloor.

Got water damage on one small section of sub floor. That's why we are ripping up the tiles now. Got to replace at least one layer of 3/4 plywood now. Also, the floor doesn't have any under layment. Gonna be a fun job.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Got water damage on one small section of sub floor. That's why we are ripping up the tiles now. Got to replace at least one layer of 3/4 plywood now. Also, the floor doesn't have any under layment. Gonna be a fun job.

Better you than me! If my ceramic ever needs to be torn up, I will call my buddy Eddie Match..... ;)

I helped a buddy rip up his old ceramic tile when he bought his house this past spring. I borrowed a hilti te7 from work with a small chipping bit. It worked awesome! I recommend you use a larger bit 2-3" I only had a smaller 3/4" one and it was a bit of a pain sometimes.

It's like using your chisel and sledge but on steroids. The hammer drill has something like 4000 beats per minute. Probably run you like 40-50 bucks at your local home depot or tool rental place. Worth every penny in my opinion. If i didn't have access to the one from work i would of gladly forked over the cash

Reactions: flyingcow
A smaller demo hammer with a wider bit works well for this. I use a Bosch Bulldog.

Reactions: flyingcow
I helped a buddy rip up his old ceramic tile when he bought his house this past spring. I borrowed a hilti te7 from work with a small chipping bit. It worked awesome! I recommend you use a larger bit 2-3" I only had a smaller 3/4" one and it was a bit of a pain sometimes.

It's like using your chisel and sledge but on steroids. The hammer drill has something like 4000 beats per minute. Probably run you like 40-50 bucks at your local home depot or tool rental place. Worth every penny in my opinion. If i didn't have access to the one from work i would of gladly forked over the cash

Thats my thoughts. Thanks

Put a layer of subfloor over the old tile floor, and be done with it LOL.
You may end actually needing to put a thin layer of new subfloor sheeting over depending on how clan you get the old subfloor.

WOW. Big pain in the butt. Like you said, i should have just fixed the problem and put a whole new floor over it. About 16 hours of demo'ing with a Bosch chisel hammer. Another 4 hours of stripping the little stuff off. The tile was put down with a serious epoxy or glue of some sort. I've got (2) 55 gal barrels of small chips of tile.Put some subfloor sheeting down and it came out nice.

LOL, been there, done that, hence my suggestion.
Now, where are the photos?

Never thought of photos. But it did happen. What we found out was that besides the water damage (which was fixed) the floor was only 2 layers of 5/8. Staggered only 6 inches. Plus not nailed down very well.

Made a few adjustments in the appliances and cabinets. Then put down (on top of the 2 layers of 5/8)1/2 plywood plus 1/4 inch underlayment. It's solid now.

Home ownership is not what's its all cracked to to be.

Home ownership equals a lifetime list of things to do, that you never get caught up on, and actually grows by a few times the minute you try and do 1 thing.
But still, it is your place your working on, and doing it right. Is always a good feeling once the 5 other projects are done, that came with starting the one project. LMAO

Home ownership equals a lifetime list of things to do, that you never get caught up on, and actually grows by a few times the minute you try and do 1 thing.
But still, it is your place your working on, and doing it right. Is always a good feeling once the 5 other projects are done, that came with starting the one project. LMAO

Most accurate assessment of anything I've ever read. My fixer upper and 4 yr plan leaves me exhausted most days.

The list makes itself, and grows with each project, usually somewhere between an additional 2 to 5 more projects growing off the original project.
Ah hell, that is home ownership.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ehouse
I figure by the time I finally complete everything on my "to do" list for home renovation it will be time to start again where I first started with new paint, flooring, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.