Rise on flue pipe on Englander stove? Or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
Ok, in the Englander stove manual it says that when you run the flue straight through the wall of the house you still need a rise of three feet.

The manual says:

"Once outside the structure, a three-inch (3”) clearance should be maintained to the outside wall and a clean out tee should be placed on the pipe that extends through the wall. We recommend a minimum of three feet (3’) of vertical pipe with a 90-degree turn away from the house. At this point, a one-foot (1’) section and horizontal cap will complete the installation."

What is the purpose of this rise? Is it for snow drift clearance? Or is it for more draft so the stove will run with better flame control?

I stuck my Englander stove at the boyfriends house (a mobile home in very poor condition) and ran the flue straight through the wall- just 2 feet of straight pipe with the horizontal cap on it. I think the stove is operating Ok, but I want to check it to be sure that the flame really gets higher on higher settings. I mean that it has SOME flame control. I wonder if his flame is lower in general than when I used the stove? Also, this mobile has at least 2 feet of concrete foundation.

When I had the the stove at my cottage, I had probably 5 feet of vertical pipe. I swear that stove was a flame-thrower. I mean low setting was a high flame and high flame was a higher flame. It cooked me out. (I took my P38 there now).

Think power failure and smoke in the firebox just sitting there with those air wash openings, especially if you also decided to not install the required outside air kit.

Think power failure and smoke in the firebox just sitting there with those air wash openings, especially if you also decided to not install the required outside air kit.
outside air is hooked up. But i dont know what is meant by power failure?

outside air is hooked up. But i dont know what is meant by power failure?

To demonstrate power failure pull the power cord. See if smoke exits the stove inside the house.

ETA: Your stove is not installed to manufacturer's specifications without a rise in the venting, stoves are safety tested and listed only when the installations is done by the manual.

To demonstrate power failure pull the power cord. See if smoke exits the stove inside the house.

ETA: Your stove is not installed to manufacturer's specifications without a rise in the venting, stoves are safety tested and listed only when the installations is done by the manual.
That is an interesting idea. Really, I should try that with all the pellet stoves...because that would be an indicator of proper natural draft wouldn't it? As far as smoke in his house:p ...well.....you havent seen the living room......

I normally don't like to disagree with Smokey, but it's not a good idea to unplug a running stove. When you unplug it, you eliminate the ground circuit. The spinning motors generate their own electricity which now has no where to go, causing a voltage spike that could damage your circuit board.

A better method is to shut off the circuit breaker, killing the power without disconnecting the ground or neutral.

--Kofkorn

Hey that's fine by me. I've never had a problem with dumping via the plug, but things can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.