risks of installing a woodburning insert into zero clearance fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maiwalhe

Oct 30, 2006
Ok, from an earlier post I have learned that there are some manufacturers who make wood-burning inserts
for zero clearance fireplaces. Now my new questions is, is installing an approved insert into such a fireplace
anymore dangerous than installing one into a masonry fireplace? The reason I am asking is this. I called some
local shops and some of them state that they would never install a wood-burning insert into a zero clearance fireplace,
even if it is approved by the manufacturer. It really makes me wonder what the reason behind such a statement is.
Any ideas?

thanks
-Heiko

Be interesting to see this one.

I was told by one local dealerthis same thing. So far, no one here seems to balk at what I did. The trick is venting the original fireplace I believe.

With today's lawsuit happy attitude I can't imagine a manufacturer designing an insert that would be considered dangerous. One would think extensive testing in worst case situations (hopefully). Failing to install it properly can be an issue, but that is beyond the manufacturer.

I would think a properly installed and maintained insert that is designed to be used in a fully intact and properly operating zero clearance fireplace would be no more dangerous than an insert in a conventional fireplace or a free standing wood stove (or any other heating appliance for that matter).

I think the key is proper aplication, installation and maintenence. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.