Ritweway - Backdrafting - any thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave keith

Nov 29, 2012
Hi,
I need some advise regarding a RITEWAY 37 wood stove.
The stove is BACKDRAFTING, i.e. explosions of gas that fills the house with smoke,
straining all the joints in the stove and pipe.

Then stove was purchased in the mid '70's. It has not been run much in the last 10 years.
During that time, the insulation in the house has been substantially increased, so we can
run the stove at a lower temp.

It has a 6inch pipe (triplewall) with about 16 feet bellow the attic, 8 ft above.

Is there something in this stove that has broke and needs replaced?

Other than the insulation in the house, nothing has changed.

any advice / help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks so much
dave

One possibility is since you mentioned the install of new insulation, is that the home has less drafts now coming around the windows, doors etc. This could reduce the amount of air coming into the home and prevent you from having a strong draft.

Try opening a window just a little near the stove when burning and see if that makes a difference. This may show you the problem and you may need to install an outside air kit if this works.

One possibility is since you mentioned the install of new insulation, is that the home has less drafts now coming around the windows, doors etc. This could reduce the amount of air coming into the home and prevent you from having a strong draft.

Try opening a window just a little near the stove when burning and see if that makes a difference. This may show you the problem and you may need to install an outside air kit if this works.

yeah, maybe but the house is still 190 years old, I don't care what gets done, it is still DRAFTY
the insulation mentioned was blown in chopped fiberglass in the wall cavites.

Here's what I think.. The Riteway is about a 70,000 Btu heater. To keep it running in the safe "burn zone" as per the
magnetic stack thermometer, it is way to hot. So, I run it on the low end of the "safe" range and clean the pipe every 2-4 weeks.

Is it possible that I am just simple running the stove too low with too much oxegen starvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.