River birch splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironwood

Jan 14, 2012
Northern OH
Had help yesterday splitting river birch. Never had split any river birch and was suprised how stringy. The first piece off the stump was really bad then got better the higher the block came from off the stump. We split a short time as the sun came out and it got too hot. River Birch 001.JPG

Looks good Ironwood... Thats a species I look forward to burning one day...

Its cooler than what it was, but still hotter the Heck!?!?!!

I was gonna go cuttin today, but got a late start (Went to breakfast with Wife) and is to hot now....

not sure about river birch, but I am pretty sure that some other species of birch can rot quickly if left in the weather. You may want to get it stacked off of the ground on pallets and top-covered. It should dry out quickly and you may be able to enjoy burning that stuff this winter if the weather works out for ya!

not sure about river birch, but I am pretty sure that some other species of birch can rot quickly if left in the weather. You may want to get it stacked off of the ground on pallets and top-covered. It should dry out quickly and you may be able to enjoy burning that stuff this winter if the weather works out for ya!
It's going to be stacked as soon as it cools off. I have room on my homemade pallets and will cover with tin.

Ironwood, is that a splitter under the tarp?

Looks good Ironwood, nice job. I cut some yellow birch last fall ( nice wintergreen smell) it's stacked in the last two rows out of nine rows, it looks like it's ready to burn but will use in 2013-14.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.