River Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironwood

Jan 14, 2012
Northern OH
River Birch 001.JPGLast Winter a storm broke out part of the top. Tree trimmer took it down now I have to split and stack. We planted the tree in 1988.

Looks like it was a big tree.
Get it split pretty soon. Green birch here splits easier & starts seasoning faster after it's split.
It's our top BTU wood.

That is amazing growth in only 24 years!

No kidding! _g Looks like you will get a nice stack out of that one, Ironwood. :)

We've got one in the yard that branches into two trunks down low. I had to take one of the trunks off a couple weeks ago. I hate to lose that tree because it has such different-looking bark and leaves. The base is fairly big but the trunks grew slowly because the tree only got partial sun and not a lot of water. Even though the trunk I cut was dead, the wood was still sopping wet. It'll be interesting to see how fast it dries this Summer. It's not stacked single-row but if it stays hot, dry and windy like it is now, it could dry pretty quickly. You can see that the wood is a little darker than the Red Maple that is stacked on top of it. I'm assuming that it is medium-heat wood...
001-29.jpg

Wow....... That is amazing. Especially for Northern Ohio Soil!! I have planted about 30 trees on my property. The soil (Clay) here doesn't allow for great growth.

Where abouts are located Ironwood? Im at the Medina/Ashland/Lorain Co Corner. Near Wellington.

Wow....... That is amazing. Especially for Northern Ohio Soil!! I have planted about 30 trees on my property. The soil (Clay) here doesn't allow for great growth.

Where abouts are located Ironwood? Im at the Medina/Ashland/Lorain Co Corner. Near Wellington.
Near Wakeman along the Vermilion River. Our soil is glacial drift and sand. We had the downspout from the roof keeping the tree watered. It was in a ten gallon container and maybe one and a half inches in diameter when planted.

I'm farther east in Stark county and we have the same thing here, a lot of clay. Also not much birch around here.

Near Wakeman along the Vermilion River. Our soil is glacial drift and sand. We had the downspout from the roof keeping the tree watered. It was in a ten gallon container and maybe one and a half inches in diameter when planted.

I have a Uncle that lives in Wakeman. My Father lives in Camden Twp. Your not to far west of me.

I'm farther east in Stark county and we have the same thing here, a lot of clay. Also not much birch around here.

Thats a little farther... (nice firepit in your thread/ Love it ;) ) Our soil is all Clay. 17 yrs ago my Property was a Cornfield. I have planted every grass seed, every bush, every tree.....

Here is my latest cutting. Gonna try an split what I have in rounds this weekend. . Also what I have in the racks. Ive got a few cord in the barn, a few in racks, and a lot in Log and Round form...

Attachments

• 2012-05-23_19-05-09_988.jpg
    2012-05-23_19-05-09_988.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 153
  • 2012-05-21_19-58-46_436.jpg
    2012-05-21_19-58-46_436.jpg
    894.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 2012-05-19_15-32-02_901.jpg
    2012-05-19_15-32-02_901.jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: ScotO
Gonna be a hot one for splitting DD......high 80's and 90's. I don't know about splitting might do some stacking. I have several cords of rounds left to split and 3 bundles of slab that needs chopped up but it is miserable working in the heat. You almost have to have long sleeves on if your handling much with rough bark and that makes it even more miserable. I have about 3 years worth already split and stacked so no hurry.

Gonna be a hot one for splitting DD......high 80's and 90's. I don't know about splitting might do some stacking. I have several cords of rounds left to split and 3 bundles of slab that needs chopped up but it is miserable working in the heat. You almost have to have long sleeves on if your handling much with rough bark and that makes it even more miserable. I have about 3 years worth already split and stacked so no hurry.

With what's in the barn, I have a couple yrs worth (2, gaining on 3 now). . But the Summer brings a filled work schedule and I am gonna sell (damn near give away) some wood to family members. This is 90% ash and its what they will burn. So getting it done soon is a must.

I dont want to... But. ?.?.?. The quicker the better. It will be better than anything they burned before (old school / cut in Sept/Oct and burn immediately) My Daughters 1st B-day party is Sunday. So I will have a few extra hands ;)

A man has to do what a man has to do especially for family and friends. We need more of that today. That's using your noggin though, invite them for cake and a bit of spoilin' for the little gal........then put them to work.

I have a Uncle that lives in Wakeman. My Father lives in Camden Twp. Your not to far west of me.

Thats a little farther... (nice firepit in your thread/ Love it ;) ) Our soil is all Clay. 17 yrs ago my Property was a Cornfield. I have planted every grass seed, every bush, every tree.....

Here is my latest cutting. Gonna try an split what I have in rounds this weekend. . Also what I have in the racks. Ive got a few cord in the barn, a few in racks, and a lot in Log and Round form...

You got a lot of wood Dexter, how many cords all told? I see some of it is nice and seasoned for the upcoming winter too.

A man has to do what a man has to do especially for family and friends. We need more of that today. That's using your noggin though, invite them for cake and a bit of spoilin' for the little gal........then put them to work.

Yep....... Should be a good time. Im definitely not gonna get rich selling at the price I am. They are family, so they get a great discount. ;)

You got a lot of wood Dexter, how many cords all told? I see some of it is nice and seasoned for the upcoming winter too.

It says 8+ in my Sig. I just got another Log Length load. So all told?? I dont really know. I have about with whats inside my barn and whats outside in my stacks.

The wood that was added to the stacks at the house, has been sitting inside my Barn out back. It looks quite fresh. But quite contrary it is not. Its been sittin in the barn since Aug/Sept. . The locust looks super fresh. But its good and dry. I have kept the back door open on most days to facilitate the drying process.

Attachments

• 2012-05-21_19-59-26_132.jpg
    2012-05-21_19-59-26_132.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 130

Dexter, you are the second fellow who has mentioned to me about clay being no good for growth. I find that amazing as clay ground is excellent for growth. Shoot, where I grew up it was almost all clay. Still in there. lol Anyway, we farmed a few hundred acres of clay and got great yields of corn, beans, beets, wheat, oats and hay. Lots of clay around this country and most of it being farmed. Yes, around here, folks like clay for growing.

Dexter, you are the second fellow who has mentioned to me about clay being no good for growth. I find that amazing as clay ground is excellent for growth. Shoot, where I grew up it was almost all clay. Still in there. lol Anyway, we farmed a few hundred acres of clay and got great yields of corn, beans, beets, wheat, oats and hay. Lots of clay around this country and most of it being farmed. Yes, around here, folks like clay for growing.

My property was a farming field 17 yrs ago. It was farmed with corn/beans (alternating). It did well. The plants across the street (still corn/bean fields, all do well also in the clay.

But... They are treated and fertilized.

Although some of my trees are doing better than others. I have some that are about a decade old and have No Growth.

I dig the holes much bigger than needed now. The trees do better with me digging a larger hole, so it has softer, richer soil to get started. With a small shallow hole, the roots just do circles inside the hole and never penetrate the clay.

All of our lillys, hostas, shrubs, and flowers all do well. The trees... A lil different.

They still grow.. Just not as well. IMO

Nice work Dexter! Very neat and UNIFORM cut rounds, not some 12", some 20" and everything in between! Very impressive looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.