roaring fire breathing Jotul 12, wife says shes scared, 12 son says let me at it, but I have ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bric

Nov 23, 2014
minnesota
This is not your normal woodstove is it, I have burned a Jotul CB3 all winter long for 5 years just your normal woodstove. Start a small fire, make big fire, shut door, not this thing. Talked to the Condar rep this morning they sent me the ceramic cat instead of the steel cat, I could'nt wait very cold here. Put it in and I thought you fire to 300 deg shut the door and off you go, the stove burnt at about 410-430 thought everything was fine. Condar rep said get it 500 to engage cat, well thats a whole new level. Question do you just open damper and then crack the ash pan and proceed to blast off, or is that not proper. Needless to say then it burns at 490-500, do you burn higher, how would'nt your house explode. This is not a meek machine. What is the proper fire off temperture? And what do you burn at?, and the wife is still scared of it, but my son found his manhood.

Do not use the ashpan door to start a fire! This can and will crack the base of the stove. That is an expensive repair. It sounds like the stove is burning fairly normally temperature-wise. It's 3 times the capacity as the F3CB and a different technology. It is going to put out much more heat but should be quite predictable in operation. Start the fire and keep the bypass open until the fire is burning robustly, then close the bypass. That will engage the cat.

Do you have the manual for this stove? If not I will post it. Also, read Joful's instructions on how to operate this stove.
www.hearth.com/talk/threads/taking-ownership-of-a-jotul-firelight-model-12.89174/

Last edited:
Do not use the ashpan door to start a fire! This can and will crack the base of the stove. That is an expensive repair. It sounds like the stove is burning fairly normally temperature-wise. It's 3 times the capacity as the F3CB and a different technology. It is going to put out much more heat but should be quite predictable in operation. Start the fire and keep the bypass open until the fire is burning robustly, then close the bypass. That will engage the cat.

Do you have the manual for this stove? If not I will post it. Also, read Joful's instructions on how to operate this stove.
That is true I do not have the manual and I this thing is playing for keeps, that would be great to see a manual and some normal numbers to shoot for. Cat burn off temp, and normal burn temp? Thanks

Contact Joful for normal operating temps. The manual is on its way via email.

500 degrees is a normal cruising temp for a cast stove, don't be surprised to see temps 650+ on occasion. Just don't make it a habit for long periods of times.

Do not use the ashpan door to enhance the fire. The only cracked #12 I've seen was from using the ashpan door to get it fired up quicker.

I've been burning the Firelight 12 since about '95 when bought new. There is a spot on the back of the stove for a temp probe but I have always used a magnetic thermometer 18" up the stack pipe. Once stack temp hits 600 I close the damper to engage the cat. Once engaged, I back off the air control to about 1/4 and let it go. temp will rest at 300 on stack. Stove temp outside is about 500 - 600. The stove from a cold start is slow and the temptation is to open the ash pan door... I say temptation.

I've been burning the Firelight 12 since about '95 when bought new. There is a spot on the back of the stove for a temp probe but I have always used a magnetic thermometer 18" up the stack pipe. Once stack temp hits 600 I close the damper to engage the cat. Once engaged, I back off the air control to about 1/4 and let it go. temp will rest at 300 on stack. Stove temp outside is about 500 - 600. The stove from a cold start is slow and the temptation is to open the ash pan door... I say temptation.
Nite 2 how long do you have to wait to get the stove to 500, are you guys only throwing in little quarter logs so it gets hot in a hurry, or does it take 10-15 min. to allow it to get to 500 and then close back damper, but never hear the whispering temptation of opening the ash door. My placement of the therm is on the right upper corner and as per NHcpa I bought one and put it 18" up and that reached 600 before the lower has reached 500. Is it exacting or is that cat going to do its thing in the 450 to 500 range? Sorry about the worlds longest run on sentences, I'm a carpenter, but my wife the technical writer gasps at my writing so that why I can talk to you guys. Of coarse everyone who owns a Jotul has a honorary Phd. some where in the closet.

My simple,magnetic stack thermometer is exacting that when it reaches 600, I close the damper to engage the cat. I start with a small base fire of newspaper and kindling. Once I have a small fire,I keep adding small splits to get a bed of coals going. I then progressively keep adding splits to build it up. You do have to have some patience but once fully engulfed, she's a keeper. I bought a pellet insert last season for convenience and to heat a large room we never used in the winter. Now having experienced both, I still prefer the comfort (not convenience) of wood hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.