Robert Kraft Gold...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

altarr

Oct 23, 2011
RI
So, my plan was to buy pellets this past weekend...I had seen them all over the place so I figured I was gtg....not so much. My dealer (ha) had them but at $300 a ton. compare and contrast that with the $249 at the box plus 10% military discount and it isnt even close....

My harman eats everything, but I went back to a beast I swore I would never visit again....inferno...though now owned by RKK...I know it is early, but has anyone had occasion to burn these yet? How did they do?

Rumor's are saying Curran is the mill bagging them now as the Inferno mill is dismantled after the fire. They are using the Curran blend which is the same as the North American found at the box stores. FYI

Sure hope they perform better than the Pats did Monday ................

J, is it a softwood blend? That's what the bag says.
Curran only does one blend AFAIK and its a hardwood. Unless its a special run just for them? I would expect to see the same pellet as the hardwood blend and the NA's!

IMHO they are as much a softwood blend as they are ultra premium. While the PFI says premium grade and an ash count to match the premium grade they received..... The bag sure look pretty though. ;)

Curran only does one blend AFAIK and its a hardwood. Unless its a special run just for them? I would expect to see the same pellet as the hardwood blend and the NA's!

IMHO they are as much a softwood blend as they are ultra premium. While the PFI says premium grade and an ash count to match the premium grade they received..... The bag sure look pretty though. ;)

The NA's are labelled as a hardwood/softwood blend. But their PFI tag says their Manufacturer's Guaranteed Analysis is "hardwood and/or softwood"... in other words, whatever their local suppliers delivered that day.

Reactions: jtakeman
The NA's are labelled as a hardwood/softwood blend. But their PFI tag says their Manufacturer's Guaranteed Analysis is "hardwood and/or softwood"... in other words, whatever their local suppliers delivered that day.
So some days its a softwood/hardwood blend and other days its a hardwood softwood blend! ;)

CTpellet once asked me if I though the mills could actually blend in exact 60/40 - 80/20(or what ever) amounts? I said I thought so. He replied that he didn't think they'd spend the extra time to be that exact. I do believe he is probably correct!! If the mill must run and all they received was hardwood fiber, That's what the mill would process for the day. Specially in lean times when fiber isn't in abundance!!

So some days its a softwood/hardwood blend and other days its a hardwood softwood blend! ;)

CTpellet once asked me if I though the mills could actually blend in exact 60/40 - 80/20(or what ever) amounts? I said I thought so. He replied that he didn't think they'd spend the extra time to be that exact. I do believe he is probably correct!! If the mill must run and all they received was hardwood fiber, That's what the mill would process for the day. Specially in lean times when fiber isn't in abundance!!
I have seen some that are labelled as a 60/40 blend. If the mill also produces an all hardwood pellet, it shouldn't be hard to stay close to their stated ratio of the blend. The blend production would be limited by softwood supply and the excess hardwood would go into hardwood pellets.

Like you say though, any mill that produces only a specific-ratio blend would have supply issues and may need to pay more for their raw material.

I did a google search on Inferno Gold and got a few hits. A few forums(here included) are chatting about them. But didn't see any reviews. WPR has a face book page hit(the 5th one down). So I checked it out.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1ARAB_enUS474US519&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Inferno gold wood pellets

Here the link to the review. Doesn't say a hole lot, But so far the voting is only 3 stars.

http://www.woodpelletreviews.com/inferno-gold.html

Kind of early yet(many haven't started burning). I would think the chatter will pick up about them pretty soon.

Last edited:
I couldn't help myself last night at blowe's. I grabbed a couple bags to try. They look like a blend pellet with a "softwoodish" smell. I will get some pics and a test burn this weekend sometime. For some reason my cheapo stove loved the Curran/North Americans last year but I don't have any left to compare to though.

My point was the bag says 100% softwood so I don't think they are Currans.
Read the bag again. It says superior softwood blend!

Inferno Gold.jpg

Read the bag again. It says superior softwood blend!

View attachment 140304
It also says "Made in New England" After a closer inspection today, I think they are MWP. I knew the smell was familiar last night, but today after filling the hopper with them, it dawned on me.

Attachments

• DSCN1900.jpg
    DSCN1900.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 273
It also says "Made in New England" After a closer inspection today, I think they are MWP. I knew the smell was familiar last night, but today after filling the hopper with them, it dawned on me.
If you look at the PFI bar graph and compare it to North American/Curran and MWP, Which is it closer to?

As usual you are correct. I think in my mind that meant that it was a blend of softwoods so I assumed it was 100% softies....

Awe come on, I've been wrong lots of times!! ;)

I'm pretty sure these aren't MWP

I think I am gonna open a pellet DNA lab.

Just got back from a dog food run to TSC. They had an open bag of MWP for 4 bucks so I grabbed it to compare.

EDIT: oops I forgot the "N"

Attachments

• DSCN1905-1.jpg
    DSCN1905-1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 311
Does the PFI box have a Mill Registration #?

Curran's is 16004

I'll have to ask for help. I didn't buy any of the Inferno Golds. BigY wanted way to much for them. So if anyone has a bag can you check this or post a pic of the PFI label on the Inferno Gold bag for us?

MWP has a PFI label, But no Mill reg number is listed.

Interesting if we could track by the mill reg numbers, But like the UPC codes. They could still be using the original Inferno number?

I'll have to ask for help. I didn't buy any of the Inferno Golds. BigY wanted way to much for them. So if anyone has a bag can you check this or post a pic of the PFI label on the Inferno Gold bag for us?

MWP has a PFI label, But no Mill reg number is listed.

Interesting if we could track by the mill reg numbers, But like the UPC codes. They could still be using the original Inferno number?

The Mill Registration #'s are unique to the plants certified to the "new" PFI standards:

16001 - AWF (hardwood): Circleville Ohio and Marion Virginia
16002 - AWF (softwood): Circleville Ohio and Marion Virginia
16003 - NEWP: Jaffrey NH, Deposit NY, and Schuyler NY
16004 - Curran: Massena NY
16005 - Marth Peshtigo: Marathon Wisconsin and Peshtigo Wisconsin
16010 - Forest Energy: Show Low Arizona
03304 - Lignetics: Linn West Virginia
03434 - Lignetics: Kenbridge Virginia
03208 - Lignetics: Sandpoint Idaho

Status
Not open for further replies.