Robin Hawke zeroclearance insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2Orion

Apr 2, 2009
St. Louis Mo
I just bought an insert today for my fireplace. I have been looking for 1 to fit my teeny weeny firebox with a 24"x24" opening.
I found this on craigslist.

3k73o03pf5Od5R55S8a139170a2bcf2341185.jpg

Anybody heard of Robin Hawke? The seller said they were produced for around 6yrs. and that they are UL listed for installation in zeroclearance fireplaces.
He seemed very well informed and had a shop full of used stoves. He said he was semi-retired and now sold used stoves/accesories and some new pipe after leaving a sales job at a Buck Stove store.

How long of a burn time can I expect? I figure around 6 hours.
I gave $500. Probably too much but that is what most used stoves seem to be going for around here. He wouldn't budge on price, he said he wishes he had more because he has no trouble getting rid of them, unlike some of the others in his shop.

Hmmm, are you sure that's the only name of it? Because a google search only brings up your post here and what must be the craigslist post of the guy who sold it to you! Gotta think there would be more out there than that.

There do seem to be a couple more hits out there for Hawke fireplace inserts though.

When putting an insert into ZC fireplaces, there's no certification I'm aware of that "certifies" an insert to be put into a ZC fireplace, it's weather the ZC fireplace allows the insertion of an insert or not. Some will, the majority will not and thier listings specify as such.
So, I think he may have been playing the part of a true salesman with that line.
What type of ZC fireplace did you place this insert?

Its going into a masonry fireplace.
It is made by Hawke.
I'll get some pics of the install and the tag on the side tomorrow. IIFRC the serial # on the tag is 695 so there might not be many out there.
I also got a parting gift along with my purchase. Its a Mitchell chainsaw, made in Monet, MO. Its got a tecumseh motor on it and appears to be direct drive with no clutch or chainbrake. He said it ran when he put it in the shed years ago and he said I could have it when I inquired about it. It sure looks old and dangerous.

Good luck with the insert and the saw! The dealer sounds like an interesting fella too.

Status
Not open for further replies.