Robin Williams...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sucks.
One of my favorite humans, and hugely influential over me. I grew up with Mork and Mindy was a luscious doll.
Never mind the rest of his vast contributions to humanity.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Hi Mike. I hope life is good for you.

hi back Dune my friend, yeah life has been pretty decent , had some "peaks and valleys" this year but overall ive been fine. back in my office for the CS season so i will be hanging out with you guys during my workday

Reactions: Dune
My Dad loved mork......I mean really loved him.

One of my best friends up here (a former member of the hearth industry) is best friends, from childhood, with Billy Crystal (yep, even took me to meet him) and always hangs with Billy and Robin Williams at various events. He said Robin is/was the funniest human on earth and really really the nicest guy of the entire crowd (of celebs and all the hangers-on) he's hung with.

It's really mind boggling that he took his life this way. I mean - realistically, I'm in favor of "choice" in these matters, but being civilized I always imagined buying a one-way ticket to Switzerland where I could have it all done legally and cleanly. Of course, then the desperation sets in, it's unlikely any of us have the sense to call Swissair and book that ticket.

Reactions: Bobbin
Suicide's a choice made while in an emotionally vulnerable state and rather unlike booking a plane ticket and hotel. It's an act of desperation, not reason.

A deeply respected friend of mine had a son who committed suicide back in 2005. The son had previously been under observation after unsuccessful attempts. This friend explained that there were periods of deep, deep darkness his son would feel and he would need to be talked down from making those rash decisions. The son was always grateful afterward that someone had stopped him but, on this one occasion, no one was there to help him through.

As a society, we need to "lose" the shame and embarrassment part of the suicide equation. It's an item on the a la carte menu, nothing more.

With all respect, you're confusing self-actualization and self-destruction. Seriously, rosy affirmation has gone WAY too far when we dismiss suicide as an alternative life choice, like a career path. You do a great injustice to the grieving family members by saying so. It implies that Robin's parents, children, or wife don't have a tragedy on their hands. In fact, they would be obligated to load the gun or tie the noose for him because he chose that path and his choice is sacred. The truth is that they shouldn't be shamed but their loss should be recognized as a loss.

Everyone is fighting some battle. Some are struggling with such deep depression that they sometimes see nowhere else to go but an end. They need unconditional loving support, someone to combat the dark loneliness and confusion with truth and hope, not someone cheering them on to go for it.

Reactions: Osage
Time to close this one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.