Robins or Briggs on splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoz

Feb 2, 2006
Looking for a new splitter and I have seen alot of these Robbins engines on splitters, how do these compare to Briggs engines?

Scott

They would compare more to the Honda engines out there. They are made by Subaru as an answer to Honda's success in the small 4 stroke market. Subaru car engines are pretty reliable according to consumer reports so I would expect the Robin engine would be a good choice.

I think B&S really stepped up the program once Honda really took off. The only downfall I saw about Briggs was about the carburetion, and that appears to be fixed in the last decade.

I have used both, for many years, and both are reliable.

At this point, I would call it a wash.

Never used the Robbins, so can't say 'bout that one.

Go Honda all the way. They work great.

Greetings,

I have to agree with Eartharvester, go with the honda.

I have a timberwolf tw-5 woodsplitter with a honda ohv engine and a compressor in my truck that has a honda ohv engine as well and they are without a doubt the best engines I have used and I have used techumseh's and briggs and they don't even compare.
No matter how cold it is you put the choke on and it starts first or second pull everytime.

I am completely sold on the small honda engines.

Craig

I understand this debate will go on like the old Ford vs. Chevy controversy. (Go Ford). I have a Honda 5hp on my pressure washer (1 year old), an 8 hp Briggs (4 months old) on my splitter, a Briggs (30 y.o.) on my edger, a Briggs (12 y.o.) on my mower. Briggs & Honda's on various pumps. When I was younger, I was always down on Briggs. I now know that it was me, not the machine that was at fault. (not draining fuel at the end of the season, no sta-bil, etc.) I'm now diligent about maintaining my equipment & it all starts within 3 pulls no matter what the weather (of course I've never used the pressure washer in freezing weather)
As a matter of fact, my wife can pull start all of these engines except the Honda on the pressure washer, but I feel this is due to the added drag of the pump being full.
Sorry for my rambling, but I guess the engine only gives back what you're willing to put into it. Whatever power source you prefer, a little time spent on maintenance will pay off in years of service down the road!

i have been in constrcution for over 10 yrs,, honda always start first or second pull ever at zero degrees they really can take the beating of getting towed job to job and laborors that dont care,,, thats why most rental equipment are hondas

stoz said:
Looking for a new splitter and I have seen alot of these Robbins engines on splitters, how do these compare to Briggs engines?

Which line of engines? Both Robin and Briggs have commercial, economy, and intermediate engine lines. Their commercial lines are great. Their economy aren't very long lived or fuel efficient. Their intermediate engine lines are the ones most commonly found on commercial splitters.

You're right Karl. My splitter has an 8hp Briggs Intek engine (OHV). It seems Briggs are arranged like this: Low end: Powerbuilt, Mid-Intek, High-Quantum. (of course, I'm probably wrong) As far as fuel efficiency goes, I think it holds a gallon of gas. The most I've ran it in a shot was 4 hours @ 3/4 throttle. I broke for lunch & re-fueled at that time. It wasn't out of gas. I just bought a small Honda EU2000i generator & that's pretty stingy on fuel! Now if only my truck ('90 Ford, 351, 4wd, 4:10's) would get some decent fuel economy!

MuckSavage said:
My splitter has an 8hp Briggs Intek engine (OHV).The most I've ran it in a shot was 4 hours @ 3/4 throttle.
Why ? Why would u run it at 3/4 throttle ? The engines are made to be run at full to oil and to cool . Owners manual . did ya read it ?

I don't recall reading that in the owners manual. It was a question I did ask myself. I was thinking more along the lines of the hyd. pump circulating the fluid faster. Thanks Roospike for the input.

I would think you will get many more years out of the engine running full throttle . The only time i use the throttle is on warm up after started and to idel down an engine right as i shut it off. The air cooled small engines are a different animal with cooling and oiling than your car engine. I have a 26 ton splitter with a briggs and start the splitter with out the pto ( pump not running ) I idel down to about 70% engage the pto for the pump and run the engine under load at 100% , With pumps on the splitters running the engine is under load so 100 % throttle is best for the motor. They are even selling lawn mowers and other power equ. now with no throttle at all , its off or on .

Status
Not open for further replies.