Rochester NH Home fire from ash in Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbreda

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2009
Lakes Region, NH
gbreda said:
Clean your stoves and venting!!!!!

"Rochester Fire Marshall Mark Dupuis said the fire was caused by a buildup of ash within a wood pellet stove, which turned on automatically because of a thermostat."

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110328/GJNEWS_01/703289902

Gee, do you suppose that might have been a delayed ignition that filled the chimney with flames, and that the delayed ignition was caused by lack of proper stove cleaning?

They lucked out big time from what the article had to say.

But everyone always cleans their stove, at least that is what we always hear on here.

Seriously folks, a clean stove is a happy and safe stove.

Glad no one was hurt and the structure was saved.

1.) Read your Owners Manual
2.) Clean your stove.

Eric

SmokeyTheBear said:
Seriously folks, a clean stove is a happy and safe stove.

This is why I put my 4-5' vertical venting inside, then 90 it out thru the wall. Makes it easier to pop off the cleanout and run a brush up in the cold months. Then only a minute outside for the horizontal.

Might not look so pretty inside, but it stays clean. And I stay warm while doing it.

For sure, keep everything clean but when you read such reports and the others that have been posted, you really wonder if these fire marshals know anything about pellet stoves. They mention a chimney but was it lined? Did they use a SS liner? Did it go all the way up or terminate above the smoke shelf? If the latter and a delayed ignition resulted, did it ignite creosote in the chimney that existed before the pellet stove was installed? I don't see a termination on top of the free standing chimney so I suspect the latter case. Who knows how the thing was installed?
The chimney is so far from the house section that was burned, you wonder if the chimney was even the cause, especially since they say the wind was blowing the flames away from the structure. Again, I wonder if the fireman ever saw a pellet stove before.

tjnamtiw said:
They mention a chimney but was it lined?
Did they use a SS liner? Did it go all the way up or terminate above the smoke shelf?
If the latter and a delayed ignition resulted, did it ignite creosote in the chimney that
existed before the pellet stove was installed? I don't see a termination on top of the free
standing chimney so I suspect the latter case. Who knows how the thing was installed?

I had the same thoughts while looking at the pictures.

Glad nobody was injured in the fire.

tjnamtiw said:
For sure, keep everything clean but when you read such reports and the others that have been posted, you really wonder if these fire marshals know anything about pellet stoves. They mention a chimney but was it lined? Did they use a SS liner? Did it go all the way up or terminate above the smoke shelf? If the latter and a delayed ignition resulted, did it ignite creosote in the chimney that existed before the pellet stove was installed? I don't see a termination on top of the free standing chimney so I suspect the latter case. Who knows how the thing was installed?
The chimney is so far from the house section that was burned, you wonder if the chimney was even the cause, especially since they say the wind was blowing the flames away from the structure. Again, I wonder if the fireman ever saw a pellet stove before.

I saw this story this morning on wmur.com. It's very sad.

Honestly, I doubt the person writing the story even knows what those are.

A lot of times, they go for the easy blame. If there's a wood burner in the house, it's automatically the culprit. Facts just get in the way of these lazy or ignorant people.

Hello

My stove goes into a 25 foot Block Chimney with Clay liner in real good shape. The top is above the ridge of the house.

I would like to see how their pellet stove exhaust is vented. I bet there could have been improvements to prevent this tragedy??

Hello

Here is a pic and more info! Fire due to buildup of ash in the pellet stove chimney!!

ROCHESTER, N.H. -- In Rochester, a home on Prospect Street caught fire Sunday afternoon, firefighters said.

Fire officials said the fire started in the back of the house but spread to the extending barn.

There was no one home at the time.

Firefighters said the cause of the fire was accidental and that there was a buildup of ash in the pellet stove chimney.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/27341770/detail.html#ixzz1JvutJqKZ

Also see >> http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110328/GJNEWS_01/703289902
ROCHESTER — A Prospect Street barn was heavily damaged during a two-alarm wood pellet fire Sunday afternoon, although firefighters were able to save the structure as well as the house connected to it.

No one was home at the time of the fire, which started at about 2:30 p.m., but a neighbor did help the family's dog out of the 41 Prospect St. home before rescue officials arrived on scene, according to Rochester Police Sgt. Anthony Bossi.

Rochester Fire Marshall Mark Dupuis said the fire was caused by a buildup of ash within a wood pellet stove, which turned on automatically because of a thermostat. He said the stove is located on the first story of the home adjacent to a shared wall between the house and barn.

Dupuis said flames filled the stove's chimney, and while fire spread to the wall behind the stove, the majority of the flames went into the second story of the barn. Drop-down fire also did damage to the bottom floor of the barn, and most items stored in the barn were destroyed.

Dupuis said the stove was located in about an 18-foot by 20-foot space connecting the home and barn, although no smoke damage was done to the house despite the fact that he said the space is completely open to the rest of the house.

Because of the damage to the wall behind the stove and that the stove is the primary heat source for the family, Dupuis said they wouldn't be able to stay there Sunday night.

Assistant Fire Chief Richard Giguere said it took firefighters about 15 to 20 minutes to knock down the flames Sunday, and crews spent more than an hour overhauling the barn to ensure the fire was extinguished.

A second alarm was sounded shortly after the first in order to get more manpower to the scene, he said.

Firefighter Pat Couch, one of the first firefighters to arrive, said there were "good 10-foot-high flames shooting up the left side" of the garage when he arrived.

There were strong wind gusts Sunday afternoon, although Couch said the wind helped limit the fire's damage rather than fuel the flames or push them deeper into the structure.

"The wind helped blow them away from the building and house," said Couch. "It could've been a lot worse. The wind hasn't shifted at all."

Neighbors reported they were first alerted of the fire when they saw smoke filling the sky, even down at the intersection of Prospect and Franklin streets.

In addition to Rochester firefighters, several area mutual aid companies responded to Sunday's fire, including: Barrington, Durham, Farmington, Gonic, Milton and Somersworth. Frisbie Memorial EMS and Lebanon, Maine, EMS also responded to the scene.

Barrington, Dover, Farmington, Gonic, Milton, and Berwick, Maine, provided station coverage during various stages of the fire.

Rochester police assisted in closing off Prospect St. while fire crews were on scene, and the road reopened a couple hours later when most departments cleared the scene. The exact time the road reopened was unclear Sunday.

The family could not be reached for comment. American Red Cross provided its service to the family.

Attachments

• RochesterNHBarnFire.jpg
    RochesterNHBarnFire.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 324
The pellet stove track record is pretty good and it speaks for itself. The risk is always there, now that so many pellet stoves are being used we will continue to see these stories. Keep your stove clean, that way you'll burn safely and get all of the BTU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.