rock maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitoak

Nov 6, 2013
Jefferson Co, WV
Hey guys..i scrounged some maple..i think its hard maple..just as hard if not harder than any green oak ive split..can i get an i.d?

Attachments

• 20140311_182634.jpg
    20140311_182634.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 20140311_182455.jpg
    20140311_182455.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 177
  • 20140311_182517.jpg
    20140311_182517.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 183
I cut a maple like that a few years ago when we cleared a block of houses. I scrounged wood. Not sure what type it was, but it had yellow fall leaves - thinking red northwood maple. Had one tight crotch with a chain holding it together. Burned most of it this year. Nice, clean and heavy wood. Burns nice, hot and long. I wouldn't mind finding more hard maple. I am wondering now if it may have been sugar maple, but I don't know for sure.

Norway for sure.

Is norway considered a hard maple?
Not really. In lumber terms, hard maple is generally referring to sugar maple only or Acer Saccharum. Red and silver are what is called soft maple. Talking firewood terms it has better BTU than the soft maples so it is sometimes can be called hard maple, but more so because it isn't soft maple.

Norways are not a native species. They are usually planted from nursery stock. They are not classified in BTU charts and have recieved a bad rap from DEC by being listed as an invasive species.
Its probably true they arent considered a hard or soft maple because they seem to be not considered at all.

Like Paul Bunion says, Norway occupies a middle ground between sugar "hard" maple and the silver & red "soft" maples. Nice stuff to have.

Norway is great when we'll seasoned. If I could choose a mix it would be hard maple and locust .

Status
Not open for further replies.