Rocket mass heaters??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
Anyone know what these are? I was on Youtube watching wood stove vids as i am getting another. Anyway these "rocketmass heater" vids popped up in related vids. Supposedly they burn and pull sideways with the smoke, have a barrel coverd heat riser in them and lots of stove pipe in a mass of rock and concrete then vents outside. Really simple explination, watch a few vids on them and you will get the idea. They supposedly burn so clean there is only water and CO2 in the smoke!! The guy who is in all the vids i guess is the designer of them says in their place in canada they burn like a cord of wood a year!! There is no air control, you just stuff wood into the hole and it draws and burns down.

He and his girl/wife or whatever supposedly mod the forum on Permies.com related to wood burning. The description of the forums looks kind of like a sandal wearing, natural food, no hunting, hippie hangout, for all the stuff they like. NO offense to those of you here may fit this description!!!

I mean i want to be self reliant but im in a total different category than these people!! Any way sorry for the side track.

Anyone know anything about these, used one, have an opinion on them, im a skeptic.

Someday I wish to build one, but I know it's not happening in this house ... I'd probably build it outside for having a nice heated bench as part of an outdoor patio.

There's a whole forum of experimenters (some of which have come up with very neat ideas, including the Rocket Bell Stove, a take on an old Russian design I think but fired with the rocket stove concept) here: http://donkey32.proboards.com/index.cgi?

I too found out about them via Youtube and did check out Permies forum. Interesting concept, I too would love to try it just have way too many projects on the "when I get a chance" list. It's intriguing to me; though I'm easily intrigued.

HEY!! I wear sandals, and try to eat natural. Venison is natural/organic.Took a nice little doe yesterday for the freezer.. wearing sandals. (me, not her)

All of the "mass" type heaters are interesting, and some day, right after we win the lottery, we will build a house that is passive solar and uses a centrally located mass heater. We are currently about as close to one as we can get. ;)

Anyone know what these are? I was on Youtube watching wood stove vids as i am getting another. Anyway these "rocketmass heater" vids popped up in related vids. Supposedly they burn and pull sideways with the smoke, have a barrel coverd heat riser in them and lots of stove pipe in a mass of rock and concrete then vents outside. Really simple explination, watch a few vids on them and you will get the idea. They supposedly burn so clean there is only water and CO2 in the smoke!! The guy who is in all the vids i guess is the designer of them says in their place in canada they burn like a cord of wood a year!! There is no air control, you just stuff wood into the hole and it draws and burns down.

He and his girl/wife or whatever supposedly mod the forum on Permies.com related to wood burning. The description of the forums looks kind of like a sandal wearing, natural food, no hunting, hippie hangout, for all the stuff they like. NO offense to those of you here may fit this description!!!

I mean i want to be self reliant but im in a total different category than these people!! Any way sorry for the side track.

Anyone know anything about these, used one, have an opinion on them, im a skeptic.

He and his girl/wife or whatever supposedly mod the forum on Permies.com related to wood burning.

Hehe.. I enjoyed the film on outhouses. Damn,, I spent all that money on a septic system and flush toilet!

Im also on the permies forum and beleive it or not the main guy (Paul Wheaton )and most of the rest of the folks over there talk a great deal about the best ways to raise, slaughter, butcher, and cook beef pork chicken ect..., very little tofu libtard bs

There is a good book about rocket mass heaters which is called "rocket mass heaters" if u want to learn more about the stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.