Rocket Scientist- Reporting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
Wow-- the Black Gum I gave up on splitting last year and just cut in 6" to 9" pieces is awsum Rocket Fuel. Had a bed of hot coals and slid a 8" x 6" round burn baby burn will get out in woods and cut all like this .

I rate this fuel when prepared in short links = I will have to report on this rating next year as am out of sticks of Black Gum. ( nearly)

The thing is still burning secondairies after ihe one piece after 5 hrs. I took pictures of fire but you see one fire -------

So What I am reporting is anyone with Black Gum Tree it is pretty good wood when processed right.

Black Gum Firewood = dries fast, burns good , don't try to split, unless it's a yr old. Best when cut in pieces under 6" long

Attachments

• SDC10278.jpg
    SDC10278.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 1,153
  • SDC10279.jpg
    SDC10279.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 1,250
cptoneleg said:
Wow-- the Black Gum I gave up on splitting last year and just cut in 6" to 9" pieces is awsum Rocket Fuel. Had a bed of hot coals and slid a 8" x 6" round burn baby burn will get out in woods and cut all like this .

I rate this fuel when prepared in short links = I will have to report on this rating next year as am out of sticks of Black Gum. ( nearly)

The thing is still burning secondairies after ihe one piece after 5 hrs. I took pictures of fire but you see one fire -------

So What I am reporting is anyone with Black Gum Tree it is pretty good wood when processed right.

Black Gum Firewood = dries fast, burns good , don't try to split, unless it's a yr old. Best when cut in pieces under 6" long

Nice spaghetti splits.

The Stuff that burns good are the rounds I have plenty that I left out in Woods as Trash. Now I know how to cut happy burning.

Just maybe pass on a little help to someone that has B G trees. We have discussed them every year I have been here and most folks dislike B G.

Now any one who gives a Crap try cutting your tree like I did and discover a new BTU

Black gum cookies :)

cptoneleg said:
try cutting your tree like I did and discover a new BTU
I wasn't able to find much on the BTU of Black Tupelo but from what I saw, it's a medium-heat wood. Maybe the fat rounds are what's giving you a longer burn time even though it's not a really dense wood?

I've been using it for shoulder season burns. Pain to get in the stove with all the spaghetti hanging off it but it burns well. I really like the idea of the short rounds, this stuff sucks to split, even with a splitter.

After splitting it looks like elm.

That's what I was thinking - Elm. Sure looks like the Elm birds nest I made a few years ago.

basswidow said:
That's what I was thinking - Elm. Sure looks like the Elm birds nest I made a few years ago.

Well it's black Gum, everyone around here calls it just Gum- So when it had leaves on it I got a postive I. D. on it. Been awhile back cano't remember if that the offical name or nick name, But on my place I have Black Gum and Black Locost, Red Maple, Tulip Poplar, Cherry, Dogwood, Chestnut Oak, White Oak, Red Oak and some sort of Pine that is the ugliest trees I have ever seen, some call it Scrub Pine some call it Scrub Cedar

I like short lengths too.

Seasons much faster.

Here is one of those little short B G Cookies, :lol:

Attachments

• SDC10347.jpg
    SDC10347.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 425
Looks like a face in the top left of the fire.

I see a face on the right side too

Makes sense. If it won't split, figure out a way to burn it without splitting. A little more time on the saw, but it probably cuts easy. Quick drying through the end-grain on the short lengths.
If the wood isn't very dense, then a bigger solid block like that can pack more btus into the same space as several splits would, maybe even more btus than splits of a harder wood...
Nice work.
Stacking doesn't look to fun though. Nothings perfect.

Upper left? That is clearly the head of a thoroughbred race horse. 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.