Rocket Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsBrew

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
Ted, I don't even know where to start. I build rocket stoves, tandoor ovens, and hybrids for cooking outside. The material I use is clay brick because it is cheap, easy to work with, and I can't build any huge permanent structures at the moment. I haven't cooked on any type of outside structure that wasn't mass based in about a year. I won't go back.

I am self taught mainly through youtube (nice stove guys there), science sites, and hands on experience. I will post two sites which I consider offer the top of the line in cores. They will be a good starting point to the world of rocket stove technology. I am not sure how far along you are but I suggest doing as much research as possible before starting on any type of build. There is a lot of crap advice out there. I also suggest building something outside first. Start small and go big. Good luck.

http://www.dragonheaters.com/

http://walkerstoves.com/

Reactions: Tedinski
Maybe post links to the previous threads on this topic?

Honestly, Begreen, I believe those two links are perfect for starters. The science has progressed so quickly within the last 10 months or so. The companies are offering the most cutting edge technology.

Tedinski, another member. He asked me a question about my experience with rocket stoves and suggested not hijacking the Masonry Build thread. I'm not spam. Search my posts. Been here for awhile.

Reactions: Tedinski
I've been watching Utube on rocket stoves for a few weeks now, am very interested, more for an outside application, very interested nonetheless.
DB do you have any pics or vids posted on your stove(es)?

My first builds are on my profile. The rocket I spent a Saturday changing up the tunnel because I wanted to see how a venturi and such worked. It did! The tandoor was pretty silly. I was sitting around and figured if I didn't have a clay pot (Alton), then I would build a clay box to smoke some ribs. Lol. It worked great. It makes me laugh. As I have stated previously, I have since built different variations of rocket stoves and ovens. I have even built rocket stoves that fed into small ovens. I was impressed. Going forward I am in the process of insulating an oven for winter use.

Most people use fire brick or metal for their outdoor stoves. I will tell you what I am going to do with a permanent structure - buy a core. Brick is wonderful for retaining heat (ovens) but it does absorb so much that it isn't the best material for a burn tunnel. This is all my opinion by the way.

Another option is a cob oven and a couple members have posted threads on those.

Finally, you could always choose the basic mortarless pizza oven. I built one of these recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.