Rockland almost Overfired - Need to measure temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2009
Connecticut
I almost overfired my Rockland yesterday.

Where should I measure the temperature? I have the harbor freight IR thermometer. Pointing the laser at the wood in fire is about 450F - 650F. Pointing the laser at the top middle of the insert where hot air comes is anywhere between 550F - 960F.

The top of the insert glowed slight red before I reduced the temperature of the stove by increasing the blower.

Jotul Rockland - CT said:
Where should I measure the temperature? I have the harbor freight IR thermometer. Pointing the laser at the wood in fire is about 450F - 650F. Pointing the laser at the top middle of the insert where hot air comes is anywhere between 550F - 960F.

Didn't this post appear the other day?

I can't tell you where on your stove you should be measuring, but anywhere you are getting an outside reading of 960ºF it's not a good thing.

When you say you are pointing the laser at the wood in the fire, you are really only reading the surface temperature of the glass itself. The laser dot is just an aiming device. The gun has a sensor behind the front lens of the unit. That's the part that takes the reading, not the laser dot. The sensor measures the amount of IR (infrared) radiation that is coming from the surface it is aimed at. Unfortunately, IR radiation won't go through glass any more than it will go through steel, cast iron or soapstone.

Trust me, the fire inside is a heck of a lot hotter than 450-650º or it wouldn't even be burning. Open that door and measure the coals and they will be higher than your thermometer can read. Mine tops out at 1400ºF, and I always get parts of the coal bed that are beyond that range. I get a beep and then "Hi" is displayed on the screen instead of a temperature.

Based on the glass temps you are getting, that seems to be quite normal. Don't know why you are getting a reading that high (960º) in certain spots, but I'd call the dealer and ask what's up.

Thank you! This is very useful. So, I should expect the temperature reading of the glass to be between 450F - 650F for the stove to operate good ( without creosote or overfire) ?

Do I measure it in any other place or is that the only place to check in a Rockland?

I'm guessing that the 950F may be related to Flue temperature. I've got to check. is that near the middle of the hole in which hot air comes out of the insert?

Jotul Rockland - CT said:
Thank you! This is very useful. So, I should expect the temperature reading of the glass to be between 450F - 650F for the stove to operate good

Well, I would think 650º would be about the top end of front temps in an insert because they are cooled by the blowers, but I may be wrong, never burned in one. OTOH 960º is too high for any exterior surface to get, no matter how hot the flue gases are. To get your stove that hot from passing flue gases, they would need to be in the 1500º+ range... way too hot. It will keep the pipe nice and clean, however. ;-)

Someone who understands inserts will come along soon to give you a better answer, I was just trying to help you understand the IR gun better. :)

I use an IR therm. pointed in the slot where the blower air exits on top of the insert. I aim about 3 - 4" in and aim towards the center top of the firebox.

Not burning yet this season but mine settles in anywhere between 650* and 750* and handles those temps fine.

Readings off the glass or cast iron won't give you an accurate temp.

If you get high temps again - and your blowers need help, a fan placed in front of the insert with a window open helps lower temp. too. You didn't mention how far down you had the primary air but in over fire situations - shut it down all the way.

To keep temps. in 'safe' range - shut down your air all the way once fire has settled in and secondaries kick in. I usually begin shutting down the air in increments when temp hits 500*.

Status
Not open for further replies.