rockland county n.y need help! can't find kerosene !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

budman

Minister of Fire
Nov 13, 2006
Valley Cottage,NY
Hi guy's need help finding kerosene rockland county n.y @ a good price. I burn a lopi declaration insert for main heat but
use a kerosene heater in basement shop. any help would be most appreciated.

I take it the local gas stations don't sell it over there? The local Citgo sells it here in Schenectady Cty.

Worse comes to worse, the local oil guys should carry the #1 kero for the outside tanks, mobile homes etc, but hey try to get them to deliver less than a hundrerd gallons, on this side of the hudson, some Getty's carry it, some don't we got onre of them fly by night stations in town that carry it, last time i got it it was like 3 something a gallon.

Our local 7-11 has a kero pump and Sheetz stations, if you have them in the area, always have the best prices here.

Haven't bought any this year since we put the F100 in the warehouse.

Odd , I went to the local gas station that has a kerosene pump and i was told they couldnt get it for another 2-3 weeks? I can get kerosene in the 5 gallon jug at the farm stores but I'm not paying $6.00 a gallon to do so.

I use a 70,000 BTU kerosene blast heater in the shop/garage (1200 sf) to heat up the air quickly then let the wood stove keep the temp after 10-15 minutes of running the blast heater.
With no kerosene it take 2-3 hours for the wood stove to heat up the shop.

Whats the deal with kerosene anyway.

http://www.nyserda.org/Energy_Information/nyepg.asp

Roospike said:
Odd , I went to the local gas station that has a kerosene pump and i was told they couldnt get it for another 2-3 weeks? I can get kerosene in the 5 gallon jug at the farm stores but I'm not paying $6.00 a gallon to do so.

I use a 70,000 BTU kerosene blast heater in the shop/garage (1200 sf) to heat up the air quickly then let the wood stove keep the temp after 10-15 minutes of running the blast heater.

I'll give ya one guess what those jets in Iraq and Afghanistan use for fuel. Call it JP whatever ya want to, it is kero. Kero mixed with low boiling distillates. Think kero mixed with diesel here.

And that brings us to what the trucks there are burning.

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:

I'll give ya one guess what those jets in Iraq and Afghanistan use for fuel. Call it JP whatever ya want to, it is kero.

;-) got-cha . I debated on a Propane blast heater at the time but for the BTU size i didnt want to have a 100lbs Propane bottle taging around with the heater.

Big Eric said:
I guess I've always figured that is why crude prices are up, but I never gave it a second thought as to why even as crude and gas have fallen, that distillate is still running high. You're a pretty smart fellow there BrotherBart.

Yeah , I've always though of our ole' brotherbart as a fart smeller ......O' i mean smart feller.

I moved last summer and my nice Kerosene heater went into to dumpster.

It was a great way to keep the shop warm at 85 cent a gallon, but 3 bucks? No way.

And I do think BB comment is on the money.

Call it JP whatever ya want to, it is kero. Kero mixed with low boiling distillates. Think kero mixed with diesel here.

When I was stationed in Germany, At Camp Eschborn we had hugh fuel tanks dotting the perimeter of the camp. We used to watch the truckers load from them . There was JP4, MOGAS, and Deisel. WEe knew the JP4 was Jet Fuel, and MOGAS, yup gasoline. We always joked about going home in a box due to a JP4 tank exploding. I always wondered why it seemed they took more safety precautions when loading the MOGAS, assuming jet fuel was more volatile! Well BB, now I know why! heck I saw my oil burner guy drop a smoke in a coffee can of kero once , as if it were an ash tray!

yea, been involved in retail oil sales for years. What do trucks burn? Depends on the time of year. Usually in warm months or warm climates, its #2 diesel fuel. In cold weather and cold climates, its #2 diesel and Kero, the mix varying. The only difference between #2 diesel fuel and home heating oil in our illustrious state of MA is the dye added to the home heating oil used to make sure truckers arent burning the nontaxed home heating fuel in their trucks. Woe to the trucker caught with red fuel in his truck....I might be wrong, but isnt the first offence a $10,000 dollar fine? As for Kero, theres more than one kind. Theres regular kero, used for heating in furnaces with outdoor tanks or for SOME space heaters. Many space heaters use water-white kerosene....much more money, since its more refined (less sulphur)......and much harder to find. If your heater requires water white kero and you attempt to use regular Kero, itll run crappy and plug up. Heres something you arent gonna beleive...when I was younger, we had a guy who would come in and check the Kero with a shot glass. If it was exceptionally clear, he'd buy a gallon. Why? He DRANK a shot of it a day! Swore it kept him healthy! I actually SAW him do it once. He was pretty old then...dont know whatever happened to the old guy......

I want to thankyou all for your replys. MASTERSWIMMER HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU AS I WORK AT DANA DISTRIBUTORS
IN GOSHEN N.Y
THANK YOU ALL

HarryBack said:
Heres something you arent gonna beleive...when I was younger, we had a guy who would come in and check the Kero with a shot glass. If it was exceptionally clear, he'd buy a gallon. Why? He DRANK a shot of it a day! Swore it kept him healthy! I actually SAW him do it once. He was pretty old then...dont know whatever happened to the old guy......

One of the first uses of oil was as a medicine.
http://www.history.rochester.edu/fuels/tarbell/UPTO20.HTM

budman said:

I want to thankyou all for your replys. MASTERSWIMMER HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU AS I WORK AT DANA DISTRIBUTORS
IN GOSHEN N.Y
THANK YOU ALL

They've got it at:
New Hampton Sunoco $2.99/gallon, ugh! (next to the New Hampton Post Office on Dolson Ave.) 845-374-5100

I also spoke to Suburban Propane. They sell it for bulk delivery, minimum 150 gallons. However, they said most people just use deisel fuel. Any gas station that sells deisel can fill your 5 gallon can.

hth,
swimmer

masterswimmer said:
budman said:

IN GOSHEN N.Y
THANK YOU ALL

They've got it at:
New Hampton Sunoco $2.99/gallon, ugh! (next to the New Hampton Post Office on Dolson Ave.) 845-374-5100

I also spoke to Suburban Propane. They sell it for bulk delivery, minimum 150 gallons. However, they said most people just use deisel fuel. Any gas station that sells deisel can fill your 5 gallon can.

hth,
swimmer
SWIMMER THANK'S FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!!!

budman said:
masterswimmer said:
budman said:

IN GOSHEN N.Y
THANK YOU ALL

They've got it at:

hth,
swimmer
SWIMMER THANK'S FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!!!

My pleasure man. That's why we're all here ;)

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.