Rockwool Insulation ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clambdin

Jan 29, 2006
I have been trying to find some rockwool insulation for a liner install with no luck, Anybody know where I can find some ?

Builders supply - got mine at KAMCO

yeah, my attic!

wear a facemast when you play with that stuff, its a mess. If I go into my attic without a mask I am coughing for the next 3 days.... maybe i am just overly sensitive though.

cmonSTART said:
This might be a dumb question on my part, but can't you get insulation from where you purchased the liner?

You'd think it was a dumb question, but I find myself wanting to ask it every time I read these forums. Any decent hearth shop should have rockwool in stock

Franks said:
cmonSTART said:
This might be a dumb question on my part, but can't you get insulation from where you purchased the liner?

You'd think it was a dumb question, but I find myself wanting to ask it every time I read these forums. Any decent hearth shop should have rockwool in stock

You would think. None around here have ever had it. I had to buy mine at a bankruptcy auction where they had bought it for building maintenance.

And 10-4 on wearing a mask. It is short fiber stuff an will mess up your lungs.

Adios Pantalones said:
Look for the brand name Roxul. It's often sold as "accoustical fire batts" or AFB's. I think there's a dealer locator on the Roxul site.

roxul is sold in batts, but is the op looking for a blanket to wrap the liner, or just to block off fp openings w/ batts?

When we did our install we needed it for our hearth, it's harder then hen's teeth to get. Not one stove shop in a 200 mile radius had it and most had never heard of it. We got a roll from an insulation distributor who just happened to have 1 (one) bale in, and it was just enough for our needs, only had to drive one county over to get it.

PM me if you can't get it... I'll give it to you at cost plus shipping.. Not trying to advertise just helping out

Don't forget to use a large serrated kitchen/bread knife to cut the batts into shape. A regular knife will just tear it. Ditto with Brother Bart on the mask, just make sure it is a N95 or half-mask with P100 filters. A regular paint mask doesn't do anything other than make you think you are protected. They don't filter out small particulate nor do they form a proper seal around the face.

Searching on line for chimney liner insulation kits will bring back numerous places to purchase without leaving the house.

Sisu said:
Don't forget to use a large serrated kitchen/bread knife to cut the batts into shape. A regular knife will just tear it. Ditto with Brother Bart on the mask, just make sure it is a N95 or half-mask with P100 filters. A regular paint mask doesn't do anything other than make you think you are protected. They don't filter out small particulate nor do they form a proper seal around the face.
Please elaborate on what you mean by a "regular paint mask". I have some 3M respirators bought at pro paint stores. They have replaceable cartridges (2) and they do seal well to the face. They have seemed pretty effective at filtering pretty small stuff like nasty solvent fumes, etc. Surely these would catch any particulate from rock wool? They have seemed pretty effective doing work in attics for extended periods.

Are you talking about those skimpy little ribbed, clothlike things like we see on surgical team members? Yeah, those wouldn't stop particulate, and no, they don't seal worth a darn.

Cluttermagnet said:
Sisu said:
Please elaborate on what you mean by a "regular paint mask". I have some 3M respirators bought at pro paint stores. They have replaceable cartridges (2) and they do seal well to the face. They have seemed pretty effective at filtering pretty small stuff like nasty solvent fumes, etc. Surely these would catch any particulate from rock wool? They have seemed pretty effective doing work in attics for extended periods.

Are you talking about those skimpy little ribbed, clothlike things like we see on surgical team members? Yeah, those wouldn't stop particulate, and no, they don't seal worth a darn.

Yeah I was referring to the thin white ribbed masks. A lot of people unfortunately make the mistake that these are effective for removing vapour or particulate hazards.

The 3M half mask that you have works perfectly, as long as you have the correct cartridges. If you have cartridges that are only made for vapours, they will be effective in removing particulates. However, there are also combi-filters that are made for both vapours and particulates. The vapour/particulate combi-filters use both a carbon adsorption and a HEPA filter (P100).

Check the packaging that the cartridges came in. There should be information provided within the packaging that states exactly what protection they provide. If you don't have the packaging any more, google the filter number to get the information. Another thing to keep in mind is to make sure you have proper skin to rubber contact around the mask seal (ie. no facial hair) or else you will be inhaling unfiltered air.

Status
Not open for further replies.