Rocky Mtn. vs Lignetics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jj1949

Aug 12, 2008
ND
This past fall I purchased four ton of Rocky Mtns from our local TSC. I had been begging for them to get Lignetics back in like last year but settled for the Rockies with no other choices. Big box store is carrying Eureka for 5.99 a bag or could turn to Marth pellets so no thanks to either. Today I find that TSC now has Lignetics(softwood) in stock for (214.00) a ton and oh what a difference in not only heat production but just how the stove handles this pellet. I'm not totally unhappy with the Rocky performance but it doesn't compare to Lignetics. Long story short, I'm a true pellet pig for sure and guys, even women can carry this title without any effort. Winter supply is four ton Rockies and 1-1/2 ton of lignetics. Should make it through these long ND winters. Happy burn'n to all.

i find that the lignetics burn very clean, very good heat, but seem to have a good amount of ash, also the bags have alot of dust in them about 1/2 cup per bag

HEMI said:
i find that the lignetics burn very clean, very good heat, but seem to have a good amount of ash, also the bags have alot of dust in them about 1/2 cup per bag

Yea, my latest Lignetics labled as 'hardwood and conifer' have a good amount of fines (dust) in the bags also. The older ones that say just 'hardwood' had virtually none. They still burn good though.

I burned some Rockies last year and found them to be quite nice. Smell good too.

I'd say a little more heat from the Ligs, But the Rockies will produce much less ash. A toss up to me.

Let the price win the battle.

I've never tried Lignetics, but I like my RM's so much that I wouldn't mind having access to only RM's!

I don't get it. If you have a product you like and it works well and you have a years supply, why do you covet another product. I have used Lignetics, but last year they were crap here and very expensive. I burned Eurekas. This year I'm burning a local product and am very happy, especially with a price $100. per ton less than the others.

Is this the field is always greener on the other side syndrome for pellet burners?????

HEMI said:
i find that the lignetics............have alot of dust in them about 1/2 cup per bag

Believe me, that is NOT a lot.

macman said:
HEMI said:
i find that the lignetics............have alot of dust in them about 1/2 cup per bag

Believe me, that is NOT a lot.
i don't know, but when a cheaper pellet such as fireside ultras literally has none i think it is.

HEMI said:
i don't know, but when a cheaper pellet such as fireside ultras literally has none i think it is.

I don't know how you assess the amount of fines in a bag, but there are NO pellets that have "0" fines, as you state. I've burned Fireside Ultras...they have at least 1/2 cup of fines per bag.

I may buy a bag or 2 at HD, and run them through my vacuum pellet cleaner.....want to make any bets??

Price and quality can go hand in hand in this matter. I can only tell you what we go through here in ND. I am beginning to believe that we here get what is the tail end of a delivery for someplace else. Our Home Depot doesn't carry pellets. Lowes carries Eureka(carry overs from last year and stored outside). TSC is up for grabs in fact, the purchase I just made with the Lignetics was one ton of nine they just got in for a shipment. Wow, decisions decisions. My best luck was last year with the Lignetics and if I could stay with them I would do it in a heartbeat. Oh, and I forgot...I tried Marth last year and after running a bolt through my auger all four pallets went back to Fleet. Just my .02 cents worth but sure wish we had more choices here.

macman said:
HEMI said:

I don't know how you assess the amount of fines in a bag, but there are NO pellets that have "0" fines, as you state. I've burned Fireside Ultras...they have at least 1/2 cup of fines per bag.

I may buy a bag or 2 at HD, and run them through my vacuum pellet cleaner.....want to make any bets??
no bets needed, just stating what i noticed....maybe i'll pick up another bag of firesides and take a pic of the inside of that bag when empty and do the same with the lignetics....its night and day between the two in that aspect

HEMI said:
macman said:
HEMI said:

no bets needed, just stating what i noticed....maybe i'll pick up another bag of firesides and take a pic of the inside of that bag when empty and do the same with the lignetics....its night and day between the two in that aspect

IMHO the difference between Fireside and Lignetics is night and day. There is no comparison. You can give me a full cup of fines next to 0 (which doesn't really exist) and I will still take the Ligs. They burn much hotter and cleaner than the Firesides.

Having said this, it really is amazing how inconsistent some batches of pellets can be and how different stoves handle different pellets.
As to the thread topic, I don't think you can go wrong with either RM's or Ligs. Given the choice I probably go with the cheaper. At the same price I buy the Ligs.

countk said:
HEMI said:
macman said:
HEMI said:

IMHO the difference between Fireside and Lignetics is night and day. There is no comparison. You can give me a full cup of fines next to 0 (which doesn't really exist) and I will still take the Ligs. They burn much hotter and cleaner than the Firesides.

Having said this, it really is amazing how inconsistent some batches of pellets can be and how different stoves handle different pellets.
As to the thread topic, I don't think you can go wrong with either RM's or Ligs. Given the choice I probably go with the cheaper. At the same price I buy the Ligs.
i agree i would take the ligs also, i would just expect less fines from the higher end pellet.

I like the Rockies (only tried 3 bags)but they smelled like wet dirty feet. The Lignetics were from truevalue and they were stored outside. Rain did a number on them and I got about 10 bags of hard frozen clumps. No refunds from the store either in Litchfield, CT.

I'm very happy with Okanagans but have tried Rockies and liked them. What's interesting in these posts is that buying is like buying take out coffee. There are differences between Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, and the small local donut shop. But there is a lot going on behind the scenes - - - where the coffees come from and are blended, how long they have been stored and repackaged from month to month, how recently the kid behind the counter brewed fresh stuff, and what you yourself feel like that way.

We can have our favorites but we're playing with people whose full time business is pellets. (And they are working with the outlets, whether big box or small retail, not selling directly to us.)

Hmm...i have noticed it has become a Rocky mountain Vs Okies thing.
I have burnt up 2 tons of Rockies and am starting a ton of Okies....about 15 bags into the ton...or my first cleaning....I can now give critique...
Okies are much more dusty so more fines than the Rockies...
Could be handling....but just get the impression of a drier pellet.
Both give out nice heat.
Okies seem to produce less clinkers than the Rockies...but both don't produce much in the way of clinkers when compared to any of the premium hardwoods I have tried.
The novelty of the handle on the Rocky bags quickly wore off...
But would have ot say that Rocky Mountain has edged out the Okies mostly because of the fines issue.and Rockies were cheaper...
Sorry BTU...

Status
Not open for further replies.