Rolling Large Rounds and Logs - I need a Peavey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What counts as 'big stuff' for you?
Any single round over 1000 lb., or even lighter if frozen to the ground. I have had trouble getting a single 24" round (pretty small) to roll, if frozen to the earth. In warmer weather, I use it to move single rounds up to 60" diameter, or logs up to 30" diameter. Much larger than that, and I fire up the tractor to move it.

wood_freds.JPG photo 13.JPG photo 14.JPG photo 15.JPG photo 16.JPG photo 17.JPG photo 18.JPG

I use it to move single rounds up to 60" diameter

Ye gads. I could see myself breaking one of those up just to be able to say I'd done it, but that's not the sort of work that will ever be a regular thing for me. If I could roll a decent length of a 20" log, that would probably be enough for me. a 42"-48" model would probably suffice.

If you buy from a local saw shop, they'll probably let you exchange it after a week or two, if you find you bought the wrong length. Another good reason to support a local business.

Ye gads. I could see myself breaking one of those up just to be able to say I'd done it, but that's not the sort of work that will ever be a regular thing for me. If I could roll a decent length of a 20" log, that would probably be enough for me. a 42"-48" model would probably suffice.
I have a 5' peavey. I can roll 24" logs that are 15-20 feet long without issue, provided that they are straight and round and have no nubs. (And the ground is smooth). Make it crooked or lopsided and the limit to what you can roll quickly decreases. How much you weigh comes into it to. It's your weight multiplied by the leverage against the log.

Honey, I might be able to find a use for one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.