Rollomatic E Bar on my new MS250

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom123

Burning Hunk
Oct 11, 2014
East Granby CT
I recently picked up a new MS250 with an 18" Rollomatic E bar. I noticed there is no hole to grease the sprocket on it. Is this something new? Will the bearing wear prematurely? I really like the saw. It's done everything I've asked it to do. Is this one of the differences between pro and homeowner? The Oregon bar on my 14"Poulan has a grease hole.

I was doing a side job once for a guy who told me that you should have a Stihl saw with an Oregon bar. I dismissed it because how would he know? Eight or ten years later, the show Axe Men started up, and I had a total recall moment when I saw all those guys using Stihl saws with Oregon bars.

I recently picked up a new MS250 with an 18" Rollomatic E bar. I noticed there is no hole to grease the sprocket on it. Is this something new? Will the bearing wear prematurely? I really like the saw. It's done everything I've asked it to do. Is this one of the differences between pro and homeowner? The Oregon bar on my 14"Poulan has a grease hole.

A LOT of the saws are this way. No worries, you'll never notice it and it will likely last as long or longer than the rest of the bar. I've had a several with the sealed sprocket, and the bars were worn down and needed replacing, but the sprocket was still fine.

Consider it one less thing you have to service.

Now that I think about it, back in the day U joints, ball joints Tie Rod (an NFL quarterback) etc all had grease fittings and they wore out. Today's are sealed and they go over 100K miles.

Now that I think about it, back in the day U joints, ball joints Tie Rod (an NFL quarterback) etc all had grease fittings and they wore out. Today's are sealed and they go over 100K miles.

I think it's a complete non-issue on that saw. Considering it's a Stihl, they've thought it out. They last as long as the the rest of the bar, at least for me.

Reactions: TreePointer
Same exact saw, same exact bar, I locked up the nose sprocket after quite a bit of cutting/flipping the bar a few times.
I know I didn't pinch the bar when it happened, nor was I out of oil. I let off after a cut and thought the brake was engaged when I went to make another cut.
New bar, running along happily again...they are a wear item after all...

Conventional wisdom is if you grease them, continue to grease them. If you don't grease them, just make sure you have good oil flow every time.

As predicted the sprocket locked up today. I was cutting out in the woods and was only about half way through. I finished a cut and it seemed like the chain brake was on. I pulled the bar off and realized what happened. I ran the saw with the bar off and it oiled fine. I'm going to the dealer Monday. I doubt I've cut a full cord with the saw yet.

Sprocket bearings can fail on any bar. I've only had it happen once in the past 8 years with Stihl "E" bars.

I had been using regular weight bar oil in cold weather (20*F). I set the saw down for a while and the sawdust (somewhat dull chain) formed a slurry with the bar oil and actually solidified in the bar groove. When I subsequently went to cut, I threw a chain and later learned the sprocket didn't move freely.

Thanks TreePointer. I have been using Poulan Pro bar oil from Walmart. My Stihl dealer said that was fine, and it was in the low 60's yesterday. Last night I soaked the tip of the bar with penetrating oil. This morning I put the bar in a vice and tapped on a sprocket tooth with a block of wood. I was able to free it up and I then went to mystery oil and it freed up nice. I then gave the bar a thorough cleaning, sharpened my chain, mounted it back on the powerhead and manually lubed everything. I went out and cut about a 1/3 cord of oak rounds and all was fine.

Reactions: TreePointer
I've never greased a bar sprocket. But I've only had two E bars. The rest are Windsor and Oregon.

I've had them lock up, but only if they plugged up with chips if I didn't let it clear as I was pulling out of the cut. Sometimes I would have to take the chain off and work it the other way with a screwdriver, but usually hooking the cutters on the bark and pulling back on the saw would do it.

Reactions: Tom123
Status
Not open for further replies.