Rome Pie Iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Anybody ever try using one of the cast iron pie irons in their stoves or inserts for a quick and easy meal?

If anyone has one, can it be used on a stove top too or does it have to be put completely under the coals to work efficiently?

They look fun to use and something my teenage son might like to use for a hot sandwich on a cold day that he can make himself without much mess.

Those have been around awhile...in fact I think we may have one somewhere...

My mom used to make wafffles on the stovetop with a similar gadget, gas burners, so I don't see why you couldn't try it on any stove.

perplexed,
Dug mine out of the camper last weekend.
Had to season them...........Was hungry by the time they were seasoned.
Worked well in the coals. Might make a mess on top of the stove.
Did some ham & cheese in them. Need to use them a few times to get them seasoned good
as they were sticking just a bit. Don't think i'll have that problem the next time.
Also seasoned both inside and out to keep things from rusting. Wrapped them in tinfoil
when i got done reseasoning...........
getting hungry again
enjoy
rn

Thanks for the replies. I have regular cast iron pans and love them because of how they hold the heat - just like my insert!

One of these gadgets seems like it will feel right at home in my kitchen. My son will have fun experimenting.

:coolsmile:

Yeah, it looks fun to me - I goggled it and started to have Rueben cravings!!

I ordered mine off of amazon.. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive. Lots of time to get the ideas flowing....I love finding practical and inexpensive items that make my life in the kitchen a bit easier and more of an adventure. ;-)

In Boy Scouts we called the "pudgie pie irons." Not sure why. I have a cook book for these things. Might have to break it out and try it soon.
1+ to the rubens.

Tony

So, do you remove the handles for placing on stove coals? I wouldn't want to leave my door cracked with the handle poking out. How exactly would you do this - I like the idea - would be fun for the kids. Cheers!

I've used my Rome cast iron pie iron to make pies on a gas range. I used low heat, and turned it half way through -- maybe 7 minutes a side. It was a long time ago so don't quote me on the time. It worked as expected -- basically the same thing as a stove top waffle iron (have one of those too). Never used either on my wood stove, but no reason it shouldn't work.

I don't see how it could be used inside the stove with those handles. For toasted sandwiches on top of a wood stove I'd be inclined to use a cast iron griddle and a bacon press.

Update...

Pie iron arrived last week and today I had a great bed of coals by mid-afternoon so I loaded it up with bread, pizza sauce and cheese. Clamped it shut. Trimmed excess and buried it all under the hot coals and set the timer for 5 minutes.

Perfect timing. The kids gobbled it down and begged for another one.

I burned it by leaving it in as long as I had left the first one in because the iron was already hot so the 'pocket' cooked faster.

For the next I set the timer for 2 minutes - flipped it over as the bottoms brown more than the top - and let it cook another minute. It still was a bit dark so when we do it again I will flip it after 1 minute.

Kids loved it and have come up with lots of ideas - peanut butter with chocolate being one of them!

Now I have to bake more bread as they just about demolished the loaf I made yesterday.

Fun for a snowy day when everyone needs a perk up mid-afternoon.

I did leave the door of my insert cracked while the pie iron was in it. The handles did stick out but stove was cool enough to do that due to just coals left over from last load. (Temp was about 300°)
My kids are teenagers and I wasn't afraid of them grabbing the handles or burning themselves.

I highly recommend trying this out if you haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.