Roof brace Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawandorder

Mar 17, 2008
upstate new york
I now need to install a Selkirk Roof Brace Kit for my chimney. It sits 10 ft above my 12/12 pitch roof. My question is how or where do i put the braces?? My chimney comes up through the roof very close to the top ridge of the roof. The directions say to put the brace 5ft up the pipe which shouldnt be a problem. The problem I have is trying to figure where to bolt the brackets onto the roof?? And if I understand the directions correctly the support poles extend to six feet. On a 12/12 roof with 6 ft poles I dont think I can reach the pipe down to the roof at any usable angle. ANy ideas??

If you're so close to the top ridge of your roof why do you have so much extra pipe? You only need to be 3' above the ridge if you're that close. In that case you shouldn't need the bracing? Perhaps I'm missing something here...

yeah its a 12/12 pitch on a roof over the boiler room which is attached to the rear of the garage so i have more pipe to go up to get over the first roof Last year I had problems with wind blowing down off of the first roof ontol the pipe below So i added a three foot section to get it up over the first roof. Sorry for the confusion.

Can you run the braces to the side wall of the section you are trying to get over? The other possibility is that you might need to extend the poles that come with the kit in some way, either by adding more stuff in the middle, or replacing the pole with a longer section, etc...

Gooserider

The wall is eight feet away. I found that Simpson has a roof brace kit for their stovepipe that extends to 114'" and Supervent has one to 120" not sure if they are compatible or not and now have to find one if it is. ANyone know if these are interchangeable with pipe???

lawandorder said:
The wall is eight feet away. I found that Simpson has a roof brace kit for their stovepipe that extends to 114'" and Supervent has one to 120" not sure if they are compatible or not and now have to find one if it is. ANyone know if these are interchangeable with pipe???

No idea for certain, but I'd think they probably are to some degree. I believe the kits are essentially a round clamp with three ears that goes on the outside of the pipe with the struts attaching to the ears - at least thats what the pics I've seen looked like... The question is how much difference is there in the pipe OD's between the different brands, and is there enough slack in the pipe bracket tightening method to accomodate the difference...

Might be worth talking to Selkirk tech support to see if they have any suggestions, or possibly offer a longer strut option...

Another random thought - don't know how well it would work - is it sounds like what you are doing with these proposed kits is putting up a set of compression supports - the struts are rigid and keep the pipe from falling towards them. What about reversing that and doing tension supports - i.e. cables that keep the pipe from falling AWAY from the support? The big advantage would be that if you are using cables then you can make your own supports with whatever length you need.

Gooserider

Don't forget your FAA approved red beacon on top!

I'd say you could probably rig something up with readily available parts here. You can buy a collar for the pipe with plates for attaching the pipe to walls (stand-offs). From that plate you could probably rig up rigid supprts to the roof with some kind of strut. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a Selkirk solution if it's gets too crazy...

So after several phone calls and ideas. Ive discovered that Lowes sells a kit extendable to 10ft but special order taking up to 20 days. It is a Selkirk product only available through Lowes (dont understand that business theory but probably why Im not in sales. )Not great option. Spoke to chimney cleaner ive known for last few years and he suggested 10 ft conduit probably 3/4 inch and adapting to the Selkirk Kit that I already have. He can install it Wed. for less than 100 bucks So probably the best option at this point seeing as I really dont like ladders/heights and the 12/12 roof. Now wondering if this extra 3ft of pipe to get over the first roofline will actually be worth the effort

lawandorder said:
Now wondering if this extra 3ft of pipe to get over the first roofline will actually be worth the effort

You better have so much draft this year you have to start complaining about it! Get that barometric damper ready!

Good luck with your install. $100 sounds like a good deal for peace of mind. You won't have to worry every time a high wind kicks up...

Status
Not open for further replies.