Roof Flashing Class (A) Chimney INSTALL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoosterBoy

Jul 5, 2006
CT
hi guys i see all the roof chimney flashing say adjustable yet i don't see how it dose that in the pictures. to make them the pitch you need for your roof what do they do turn them around or how dose it adjust? also do you know where i can get my chimney flashing in SS and the storm collar in SS also. i am installing 6 inch type ht for my new wood stove and i think the aluminum flashing's will cause electrolysis's and eat away a section of my shinny new stainless steel chimney. if I'm going to install a chimney i want it to look hot ;-)

thanks
Jason

they just bend a little within there pitch range, no mechanics to it.
No idea about a ss flashing or storm collar. sounds like a custom job and overkill.

For Selkirk-Metalsbestos you choose between 2 flashings, depending on your roof pitch.

Mine didn't end up with a really good seal between the storm collar and the roof flashing - the watershed was fine but there was a gap underneath the storm collar. I had to rig up some screening to keep critters out. Doesn't look great up close, but you can't tell from the ground.

Agreed! ICC is sweet stuff, i new about there lead base flashing, i had no idea that they made SS flashings and storm collars.
looking at there catalog, it looks like the lead base flashing is the only one with a stainless cone. Is this true?

thank you thank you guys so much i got a stainless steel roof flashing and storm collar. paid $99 now this is going to be a hot looking installation ;-) will post pictures of my chimney when it's done

thanks
Jason

Wow, that sounds to good to be true! most aluminum flashings cost that much, if not more! which brand did you get? and is it ventilated?

MountainStoveGuy said:
Agreed! ICC is sweet stuff, i new about there lead base flashing, i had no idea that they made SS flashings and storm collars.
looking at there catalog, it looks like the lead base flashing is the only one with a stainless cone. Is this true?

The lead based unit is also SS on the cone

i got the icc one like you guys told me i don't know what you mean by vented but here is a picture tell me what you think i hope i made the right choice

thanks

Attachments

• EFAadjustableflashing.jpg
    EFAadjustableflashing.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 556
Maybe hearthtools can chime in here, but it has always been my uderstanding that the flashings need to be ventelated at the top, that accomplished a couple of ways, slits in the top of the cone on simpson duravent, and somtimes the cone is buckeld in at te top. The idea is to let hot air that the pipe produces to escape to the outside. I personally havent seen a class a flashing that doesnt have this feature, and it was my understanding that it was code to have such a flashing. I could be wrong, so someone please chime in to correct me.

One more note, most flashings are sold by the size of the pipe, the interior dimension of the pipe. For example a 8" flashing woild have a 10" hole in the case of simpson duravent, now metal fab 8" would have a 11" hole. Different brands have different wall thicknesses. If your not using icc pipe verify that your getting the correct size.

I have never sold ICC, just seen it, it looks like real quality stuff. I can tell you this, 100 bucks for a SS flashing is a bargin, like i said earler, aluminum flashings cost that much. It just raises a red flag to me. A icc dealer need to get on here and verifry you got what you needed.

thanks mike i called the manufacture today in Canada and they told me that my 6 inch a calls would fit the flashing i ordered but like you said it is not vented i hope don reads this message regarding code if my flashing must be vented. i have 2 inch clearance around the plywood where the flashing and the chimney will exit the attic to the outside and i have a ridgvent

here is a picture of my setup right now it's a 8 inch chimney with aluminum flashing it's all getting taken down and new six inch is going up

thanks
Jason

Attachments

• hearthupload.jpg
    hearthupload.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 632
MSG is correct to state that the flashing should be vented . The vented flashing is then covered with the collar that fits the pipe above the vented flashing . My .02 cents

Picture #3 flashing / collar ( note the flashing venting under the collar ) . Picture #4 garage Stainlesssteel chimney .

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 640
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 605
thanks for the pictures rospike i see the venting if it's code then i will modify mine but if it's not code i will leave it without i know right now both my stoves don't have it now. what brand chimney do you have there? i like the cap also

thanks

RoosterBoy said:
thanks for the pictures rospike i see the venting if it's code then i will modify mine but if it's not code i will leave it without i know right now both my stoves don't have it now. what brand chimney do you have there? i like the cap also

thanks
Metal fab-brand . http://www.mtlfab.com/metalfab/content/view/full/380

Rooster, i would check it out by telephone. it probably just my paranoid self speaking up.. but here it goes. If the flashing is not UL listed for a class A chimney installation, then there is slight concern. And here is why, you are going to take a unlisted produce, modify it to make it like a listed product, which in the end result would still be a modified unlisted product. If you have a house fire elsewear besides the flashing area, the insurance folks are going to cry fowl when they find it in the investigation. Now, lets get back to reality, the chances of that happening are remote, but if it was to happen, it would be a shame to get hosed fot the value of the enire house because of the the flahing installation.

Techicaly, you are supposed tp install a "system". Meaning all metal fab, all simpson dura vent, etc.. to have a fool proof instalation. Maybe ICC is listed not to have vents when there brand of class a is in use, the problem is your not using ICC pipe, i think you know where im going. I would call a ICC back.

Vented flashing are not required.
Only for Mobil home installs or if the Space that the Pipe goes through has no Ventalation.

I only use the standard flashing.

In the past DuraCrap Oh I meant Duravent offered vented and Not vented flashing. Now I see they only have vented (save of Parts to stock)
ICC offers both.
There is always a small air space due to the roof pitch so I don’t see any problems with him using an unventing flashing. And he is using and Insulated pipe and not an air-cooled pipe. Much better for draft.

Mtstove guy
MAKE THE SWITCH TO ICC you will be glad you did.
Smaller support boxes
Better draft in cold climates.
48" sections.
6" sections
Adjustable section
Lighter weight
Better looking fittings
Easy to remove and clean cap.
www.icc-rsf.com
Pellet vent coming soon.

Now come on, simpson produts are not crap. As far as ICC goes, I dont do business with the distributor, so there out. Simpson makes a great produce too. There support boxes are 12" square, they have 48" 6" 9 " telescoping lengths, etc. ICC is the first brand that i have seen that doesnt ventalte there flashings. Are you shure there ok to install on non ICC pipe?

i know the icc flashing is ul 103 ht listed as far as having what brand as long as your installing other ul 103 type ht then im sure your ok. i just hope that the flashing will fit my 6 inch hart and Cooley type ht pile it's 8 inch outer diameter. i will measure the flashing tomorrow before i buy it to make sure ;-) but if don the building code expert reads this please let me know if it's code to vent the flashing

thanks
Jason

Their flashing are Heavy gage and the best flashing I have seen made so Im sure they are better that the flashing that are listed for that pipe.
For goodnes sake it is only Metal. Not like it is the pipe.

The venting is put in to help pass the UL tests. It removes heat from the chase allowing lower clearance to combustibles. You have to use the same manufacturer as your pipe to keep the UL Listing and the clearance to combustibles stated in the installation manual. Many people don't, but if you want a UL Listed system, you have to have it set up the same way it was set up for the UL testing.

hi metal what other company offers stainless steel roof flashing's with vent? i hope my good Buddie don the building code expert responds to this thread. also is hart and cooley a good chimney system?

thanks
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.