roof hole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malak

Jul 30, 2008
North Central CT
I just got all my chimney crap yesterday, and when it says to maintain a 2" clearance to all combustibles does that mean that I literally make the roof hole 2" bigger than the OD of the pipe i.e. 4" in diameter bigger?

thanks

That's correct. My Duravent Pro is 3-5/8" OD and it requires at least a 1" clearance to combustables, but I doubled all the clearance requirements, so I made mine 2" all around as you can see below.

Steve

Attachments

• Stove49s.jpg
    Stove49s.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 387
If you cut a hole in your roof using the outline of the big hole in your roof flashing, it should be wide enough to meet the 2" requirement once the pipe is installed. Mine was. Just make sure the location of the hole is where it needs to be, or else you may have to cut it bigger.

When they cut the hole in my roof for my v c dutchwest I said oh my god . Installed in june I go in the attic everytime it rains looking for a problem. Only cuz I paid for the install . I sell dead fish not too handy indoors . 2 to 3 inch around pipe . The guy said this how he would do it if it was his house .

I wanted to mention for the other newbies like me that the hole must
be elliptical i.e. oval! Luckily, I thought of this the day before. Because
when you tilt a circle relative to a vertical column it becomes closer
at the top and bottom than at the side.

The formula is: pipe diameter/COS(roof angle) X 2

So, for 6" pipe, 2" clearance, and 30 degree roof: 14" X 12" minimum.

I did a 15" X 13" to be safe and glad I did!

It turned-out surprisingly well. Whew!

You can use a drywall saw with no problem. Don't put your weight
on the same plank you are cutting. Use a pilot hole from the inside
to put a center screw up thru the roof and make a cardboard template
with a center hole. So all I did was put the template on the screw
sticking out and trace and cut! Viola!

Attachments

• Chimney1s.jpg
    Chimney1s.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 274
I'll have to remember never to put an elliptical pipe in a round hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.