roof leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
How does one get to the peak of a roof that is pretty steep? I am not afraid of heights, just afraid of falling. I have 2 stories, and the problem spot is the very top.

I have run a rope over the roof, secured to a very solid object. Note: using a vehicle can be dangerous - there are cases of someone driving away with someone attached on the roof! Climb the steep roof using the rope for stability and support. Once at the top, tie a bowline to secure yourself. If you use a pulley on the secured side, you can tie the rope to yourself, and pull on the other leg of the rope to pull yourself up and lower yourself.
At this point in my life, I would just hire someone, making sure they are insured!

heat seeker said:
I would just hire someone, making sure they are insured!

That is some sound advice!

Flatbedford said:
heat seeker said:
I would just hire someone, making sure they are insured!

That is some sound advice!

Would love to do that. Know anyone that cost $100 or less?

Depends on what you need done. Maybe a local handyman would do it, if it's not too skilled a job. Can't hurt to make a few calls and ask.

I use a ladder hook. It attaches to a single section of extension ladder. It has a little wheel to push it up the roof and once over the peak, flip it over and it hooks over the peak. It actually hooks under a ladder rung, so the attachment is positive.

fishingpol said:
I use a ladder hook. It attaches to a single section of extension ladder. It has a little wheel to push it up the roof and once over the peak, flip it over and it hooks over the peak. It actually hooks under a ladder rung, so the attachment is positive.

Interesting, this may work. Just watch a video on one, what makes it from slipping back over the peak?

found one on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Qualcraft-248...ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1307835615&sr=1-1

heat seeker said:
Depends on what you need done. Maybe a local handyman would do it, if it's not too skilled a job. Can't hurt to make a few calls and ask.

The peaks caps are gone, need chimney sealed up, and a vent sealed up. Also I have a big patch of shingles gone. Which was recommended to just put some tar in that area. but the caps and chimney is my biggest issue.

Sounds like you need roofing jacks, sometimes called roof brackets. They are adjustable to the roof pitch and let you put a 2 x 10 across a few of them. They are nailed through the roof sheathing hopefully into a rafter. Usually you lift a few shingles tabs to nail them down. You will feel safe with them.

What keeps it from slipping over the peak? Gravity. Actually, I have pretty much the same one. The hook will go over ridge cap shingles without damage to them. The weight of the ladder keeps it on the roof. I've done work on 2 story roofs with one and felt safe using it.

I've actually always used one hook instead of two! :bug:

fishingpol said:
Sounds like you need roofing jacks, sometimes called roof brackets. They are adjustable to the roof pitch and let you put a 2 x 10 across a few of them. They are nailed through the roof sheathing hopefully into a rafter. Usually you lift a few shingles tabs to nail them down. You will feel safe with them.

What keeps it from slipping over the peak? Gravity. Actually, I have pretty much the same one. The hook will go over ridge cap shingles without damage to them. The weight of the ladder keeps it on the roof. I've done work on 2 story roofs with one and felt safe using it.

I've actually always used one hook instead of two! :bug:

I have those but afraid of putting anymore holes in my roof with the nails.
Also, my roof has about 6 different sides and angels ( will have to take a picture to understand. )

Is this storm damage? If it is it is insurance company time.

If not, it sounds like new roof time.

BrotherBart said:
Is this storm damage? If it is it is insurance company time.

If not, it sounds like new roof time.

Well, the wind has most definitely ripped off some of the shingles. the roof was bad when we bought it, just not as bad it is now. The insurance company from day one eliminated any water damage that may occur inside the house. We replaced the first level's roof about 3 or 4 years ago. We just have not been able to save up to do the upper. What I would really like is to put a metal type roof right over it, but for now I really need to patch it up. Heavy, heavy rain today and we experience new leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.