1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Roof-mounted solar panels - hidden danger

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Joful, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Hmm. Who would have thought that more stuff on the roof would make things more difficult :oops:

What's your take? What should be done?
  3. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    training issue?
  4. Where2

Where2 Member

Loc:
    South Florida
    I loved this statement: "any kind of light at all will activate the panels, including streetlights, floodlights, even firefighters’ flashlights. Those panels are extremely efficient."

Best I've seen is about 15% efficient. Partial shading really screws up a panel output too.

Since I have a stack of 235W monocrystalline panels, I ran a little experiment tonight. I took a 5-cell Ni-Cd Mag Lite similar to those used by your average FD/PD, shined it on a panel. I measured 10.6v @ 0.01A. So, I turned on a 50W lamp mounted an average of 7 feet from the panel. I measured 16.2v @ 0.02A.

Sounds like a training issue. One swing with your average fire fighting axe will disable a solar panel even at high noon.
  5. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    There definitely is a training issue and current NFPA standards require access ways on each edge of the roof as well as along the ridge pole for peaked roofs. Many folks dislike this as it reduces the number of panels they can put on the roof.

Microinverter based systems are somewhat safer as if the AC power is turned off in the structure the inverters shut down. The panels themselves are still "hot" but the wiring to the microinverter is typically under the panel and very short.
  6. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA