1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Roof Vent Stack Boot Question

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by n1st, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n1st

n1st New Member

Loc:
    Enfield, CT
    My vent stack boots are in very bad shape and the rain must have been combing into the attic. The pipe was 3", so I bought a 3" to 4" rubber adaptor from Lowes and put it down, I think it should work. Anybody else try this? The alternative is to remove the boot (and plate) from shingles and replace.

I have a 2" vent stack also. This one doesn't look to be leaking yet. I don't think there is a 2" to 3" adaptor readily available, so I'm looking for ideas.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I don't know the various sizes available. Just adding my 2 cents that mine leaked (they dry rotted and leaked when it rained) and I bought a replacement boot, slid it down over the existing one, cemented it in place. Was an easy fix. I used a lot of tar (from a caulk gun type of tube). You are on the right track.
  3. steam man

steam man Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I was just researching products for roof project and came across a pipe collar at: www.wilmarproducts.com. It just sides down. I am not sure if will fit over a no-caulk Oatey type flashing. It seems like it is just a flared adapter as opposed to the DWV reducer (which should work anyway).
  4. n1st

n1st New Member

Loc:
    Enfield, CT
    Yes, mine dry rotted. A replacement boot would be just the thing. Where did you find it?
  5. n1st

n1st New Member

Loc:
    Enfield, CT
    Steam man, thanks for the link, but it doesn't look like it'd fit.
  6. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    Mine came from Lowes
  7. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    That will work. Personally, I'd take the old one off and install a new one. The pipe collars come in a few sizes.
    Rule of thumb, one covers several sizes. Use the one that rated for that size or smaller. Never use one that made for a larger size than the pipe your flashing.
    Muck works, but does crack over time, makes a mess, and if you need to take it off, good luck. Its a PITA.
    Top 1/2 of collar at very least should be under the shingles. the bottom 1/2 or few inches on top of shingles. Exactly where depends on where the shingle courses are.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.