roofing advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We use the sharkskin now on roofs, other than needing plastic cap nails, it's good stuff. Never walk on it if there is even a drop of water on it, unless you like the 10-yard freestyle bobsled! Not sure if it's worth the extra cost, surely not needed for this project.

A well-installed steel roof can last up to 100 years or more if it's maintained. I have snow dogs on my garage so the door doesn't get blocked by falling snow and ice. Cost is always a factor, though.

Webmaster said:
This roof is 2 1/2 sq per side, so five total....I decided to take a road trip, so I will shingle it during the weekend.... I used to lay one square an hour, but I'm sure I will do it at 1/2 the speed or less now.....luckily, no rain in the forecast!

12' X 22'? ah, looking at pics that per side, yes you have 528 sf, so 5-1/2sq will do. Don't forget to figure your hips and starters in.
Hope your using a nail gun? ;)

By the time one rolls out the cords the air hose ,me with the shingler's hatchet ,I have 2 bundles already laid down. . If one is using ladders to get the starters down the gun hose will only get in the way and it will not save any time till rooffng brackets and staging is installed. Hell 5.5 squares is not even worth using a gun on let alone $70 for coil
nails.. ITs still ok to use a hammer or shingler's hatchet. Not every thing has to be air driven

Even setting up & hoses, I betcha I can put down one side of that roof before your roofing hatchet does even 1/4 of a side :)
Tap tap tap tap is no contest to pow pow pow pow. But I do understand your meaning ;)

elkimmeg said:
By the time one rolls out the cords the air hose ,me with the shingler's hatchet ,I have 2 bundles already laid down. . If one is using ladders to get the starters down the gun hose will only get in the way and it will not save any time till rooffng brackets and staging is installed. Hell 5.5 squares is not even worth using a gun on let alone $70 for coil
nails.. ITs still ok to use a hammer or shingler's hatchet. Not every thing has to be air driven

I'm doing this the old-fashioned way (like Elk) - no air tools.....

today is the day - here I go!

Webmaster said:
elkimmeg said:

I'm doing this the old-fashioned way (like Elk) - no air tools.....

today is the day - here I go!

Good luck Ol man, I expect it to be done by Noon LMAO ;)
& I wanna know how many times you smash your fingers with that hammer ;)

Square head shingler hatchets are brutal on fingers Hey if you don't spill some blood, then you must not be working harder or faster enough

I had days when My fingers feel like hamburgers reach in the pouch and let the roofing nail fall between your fingers stt them one hit and one dip in the pouch per shingle.

Even today I am very fast at hand nailing

About 70% done, and did take a bit off the top of my left ring finger -bummer since it is a guitar finger! All bandaged up, and continued working .....done for the day now, maybe finish tomorrow. Job is coming out OK, but it would not meet the Elk Standard......on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say the job is a 6 or 7....working with crooked eves and gables, decking that looks like it came off of older demolished buildings, etc. - but the nails are holding well and it should be good for another 20+ years.

I can still type, but finger is throbbing a little bit.....

Webmaster said:
About 70% done, and did take a bit off the top of my left ring finger -bummer since it is a guitar finger! All bandaged up, and continued working .....done for the day now, maybe finish tomorrow. Job is coming out OK, but it would not meet the Elk Standard......on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say the job is a 6 or 7....working with crooked eves and gables, decking that looks like it came off of older demolished buildings, etc. - but the nails are holding well and it should be good for another 20+ years.

I can still type, but finger is throbbing a little bit.....

HAHA, exactically!!!!! I remember that like it was yesterday!
The worst is cutting metal and cutting through and clipping the web between your thumb & index finger. Because of the spot, it continually opens back up.
Yes I speak from experience. My hands are like a typical Pennsylvania highway, more road patches (scars) than road.
I usually always smashed my fingers when installing a heavy gauge edge metal, like an .040 or .050. the nails if just cocked a lil, would skip off and smush went the hammer. I always had to be such a man and used a 22oz framing hammer with the waffle end. That waffle end hurts like a biach when ya miss. And yes Elk, blood always followed. Luckily using it roofing, sooner or later I'd war the waffle points flat. But 22oz still hurts when ya miss at full swing. Did it the same way Elk, roofer between index & middle finger. so always got 2 finger for the price of one LOL.

I expect pictures when finished. I want to see those pick lines and then the horizontal line. :) Inspection time LOL

Hog one of my wife's biggest concerns what I would have black ugly finger nails for the wedding It took 6 months to r get rid of my small current one

Well right after the father bride dance My daughter requested I do the next dance Blues Brothers Sam and Dave Soul Man.

The groom walks on the dance floor and gives me the Jake an Elwood top hat and sunglasses. I must say I did a real good impersonation of John Belushi.
Brought the place down with a standing O I forgot about the time when I did the junior high dance and did the same thing It was soo long ago and I was much younger then
No Nobody told me about it. Even the band never got that request before, they learned the song just for the occasion. What a fun wedding I'm still smiling thinking about it
Perfect day perfect location and setting.

elkimmeg said:
Hog one of my wife's biggest concerns what I would have black ugly finger nails for the wedding It took 6 months to r get rid of my small current one

Well right after the father bride dance My daughter requested I do the next dance Blues Brothers Sam and Dave Soul Man.

The groom walks on the dance floor and gives me the Jake an Elwood top hat and sunglasses. I must say I did a real good impersonation of John Belushi.
Brought the place down with a standing O I forgot about the time when I did the junior high dance and did the same thing It was soo long ago and I was much younger then
No Nobody told me about it. Even the band never got that request before, they learned the song just for the occasion. What a fun wedding I'm still smiling thinking about it
Perfect day perfect location and setting.

Elk...Congrats. (I wanna see the pictures of you with the glasses and hat though)! :coolsmirk:

Mucho congrats Elk. My be a very dear, happy & proud day :)
I am hoping on at least 10 more years before I have to go to any wedding for my son.
Been having a lil bit of a tough time with the 40's thing. I know, still young compared to some of you fellers. But the thinning hair, the growing aches & pains.
I wish my body felt like my mind.
Anyways, my sincerest congrats. You must be feeling pretty good ;)

Fantastic Elk. Glad ya had a good time Jake. Did ya take a little drive through the mall on the way home?

Hogwildz said:
Mucho congrats Elk. My be a very dear, happy & proud day :)
I am hoping on at least 10 more years before I have to go to any wedding for my son.
Been having a lil bit of a tough time with the 40's thing. I know, still young compared to some of you fellers. But the thinning hair, the growing aches & pains.
I wish my body felt like my mind.

The hair is not a problem - just use sunblock and avoid mirrors.

The aches and pains can be a "pain". But I think the secret, to quote a hearth industry friend of mine, is advice from his 90+ year old father "Just Keep Moving"........ (although maybe slower than before).....

Off to climb the roof again while it is still cool. Good thing this is not a paying job, or I would be down to $4 an hour or so......one shingle, two shingles, three shingles.....now I'm done for the day!

Here are my blues brothers impressions - I'll post the dancing (shudder) pics later.....

BTW, in the pic of my sitting, the man standing was the wedding officiator, a friend from the hearth industry (long ago) - his son is on the board here! The couple to the right of me is our best friends, he was also in the hearth industry for 3 years, and is a remodeling contractor, and the older couple in the rear are my parents..

Oh, the bass player - the band is named after him - Floyd Patterson band.......and yes, he is (supposedly) related to the boxer!

Attachments

• blues.jpg
    blues.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 323
  • wfloyd.jpeg
    wfloyd.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 334
OK, I'm almost done the roof - this is mon morning, the other side is done.....I will finish early tues, since the sun hits it and makes marks on the shingles when I step on them....

Oh, and also a wedding dance pic - now we have to see "soul man" Elk.....

Attachments

• roofprogress.jpg
    roofprogress.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 300
  • dance.jpg
    dance.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 331
Good plan get up early when its still cool there are times when we bring up a hose and spray down the roof to continue working.

Hopefully you guitar fingers did not take too much abuse.

Really staging is the key for developing any speed in installing the shingles. A couple frames of pipe staging would made that job a lot easier

Looks good. Did you run the shingles horizontally or vertically?

Status
Not open for further replies.