Roofing options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave11

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
Western PA
I've got an old two-stall stable on my property which I currently use as my splitting area. Simple gable roof, each side measures approx 20X10 feet, one side very visible from the house and road, the other side hidden.

Has a single layer asphalt shingle roof on it now, which is starting to go. Have had three roofers out to give estimates on reshingling, ranging from $3800 to $4200, using architectural shingles, and that's WITHOUT removing the old shingles.

Sounds pretty high for such a small job, but I guess that is the going rate.

So since I might end up doing it myself, I'm looking into options. One side of the roof at least needs to be presentable.

Has anyone found metal roofs to be DIY-friendly?

Or would reshingling still be easier?

Just wondering what people here have had good luck with.

I just had my house roof re-roofed a month ago. It was 15 year old '30 year' shingles, and looked like absolute crap - I've completely lost faith in asphalt shingles (high wind area at times though). I had steel put on - they strapped first over the shingles, then the steel. That price seems awful high - my roof is over about 1500 sq. ft. of living space, with two 2 ridges, 2 valleys, 3 hips, one section that butted up against a wall, 2 chimneys & a stink pipe. So it was complicated. My steel costs were right around what you were quoted, install (it's a 2 story) & all other materials was about that much again. Sounds like you've got a simple roof (one ridge?), with no living space underneath? I would just get some steel and do it myself, right over the shingles. The sheets were around $1/sq.ft. - trims & caps are extra, but you should be able to do it yourself for way less than $1k? You should be able to get close to whatever colour you want, and the sheets cut to the right length to fit your roof - should be maybe a one weekend job. Unless it's 40 feet in the air - that might make things harder.

If you install metal, you should really tear the old shingles off and run lath underneath.
If the shingles aren't too bad, you can shingle over top. As long as your only going over 1 previous roof.
Its only 4 sq, I'd tear the old off and put new shingles on. Not sure the cost of the dimensionals these days, been a while.
But no way that job costs any more than a few hundred to do yourself. $3-4k???? Ridiculous!
When I was roofing, that job would have went for cost of materials + $ 200 to 300 per man per day for the labor. Should be a one day job for 2 men.
Dumpsters do cost these days, but even so, no way the prices they quoted are realistic.

I thought the prices were high, but all three were fairly close to each other. I did forget to mention that the fascia boards need to be replaced, but I don't think that could add much to the job.

I thought maybe they didn't want to do it, so they quoted high. But it seemed like a bread-and-butter sort of job to me. Nothing but two plain roof faces, lower to the round than the average one-story home.

Seems like though that more and more people are turning away from asphalt shingles.

Look into the local roofing supply. The material should be cheaper at the source. If your any bit handy you could do a small roof yourself. The starter course is important, along the bottom edge. The pattern is much easier with architechtural roofing just read the measurements carefully.

I built a pole barn this summer and installed metal roofing. I found it relatively easy to do and like the result, so much in fact that we plan to redo the house in metal soon because the high end asphalt shingles are shot after 20 years.

Semipro said:
I built a pole barn this summer and installed metal roofing. I found it relatively easy to do and like the result, so much in fact that we plan to redo the house in metal soon because the high end asphalt shingles are shot after 20 years.

Which manufacturer did you go with? You can PM with it if that's better...

Thanks.

Union from HomeDepot. I believe metal roofing is fairly standard and is made and sold regionally. There are two basic types; exposed and hidden fasteners. The latter snaps together and has standing seams. I used the exposed fastener type and ordered the panels cut to length.

dave11 said:
I thought the prices were high, but all three were fairly close to each other. I did forget to mention that the fascia boards need to be replaced, but I don't think that could add much to the job.
I thought maybe they didn't want to do it, so they quoted high. But it seemed like a bread-and-butter sort of job to me. Nothing but two plain roof faces, lower to the round than the average one-story home.

Seems like though that more and more people are turning away from asphalt shingles.

The fascia board replacement is probably where the cost is. They need to set up scaffold and do carpentry plus cover it with new aluminum, and reinstall/replace gutters.

a lot depends on how long you want to be there... i replaced mine with shingles when i moved in... if I had to do it over again I would have put metal up, lasts forever, never worry about it again.

Oh well.

kettensäge said:
dave11 said:

The fascia board replacement is probably where the cost is. They need to set up scaffold and do carpentry plus cover it with new aluminum, and reinstall/replace gutters.

There are no gutters, and the fascia boards are so close to the ground, you can reach them from a step stool. No scaffolding required.

Fascia board can be done with regular 1x6 (or 2 inch, depending on situation) with vinyl fascia over top. Easy peasy especially when there are no gutters and you can reach it with a step stool. This sounds like a project screaming DIY, whether you go asphalt or steel. I'd still go steel just based on the fact it should go a lot quicker, and will last longer. I might also strap underneath it (didn't say that before), but even that is an easy job - and strapping is cheap. No need to touch the existing shingles.

If you don't remove the shingles prior to placing metal on, it will buckle and oil can the metal roof.
The more flat and smooth the surface, the better the metal will set and less it will look like crap from any uneven substrate.
Of course being only an shed, may not matter. Exposed fasteners in metal roofs rely on a neoprene washer to seal the fasteners. They will dry rot and fall apart over time, leaving the possibility for water to find it's way in. So plan on replacing them at some point, or go with the other typw of metal roofing the is fastened on one side and snap locks over with each next panel.

I don't trust exposed fasteners but on a shed who cares? More about the look. Architectural shingles are easier to install than 3 tab. They hide a lot of mistakes (to most eyes) because you're not trying to line up the rain gullets perfectly. This is a very easy job depending on the height and the pitch. If they're not stripping it one guy in a weekend could make 3k, or a pretty hapless homeowner could save 3k in 2-3 weekends, just practice on the backside first and if you don't like it hire out the other side. I was a pretty slow roofer and could hand nail a roof (no valleys, no dormers) at about 1 square/hr while shagging my own bundles. The soffits are something different without looking at them but my guess is they came out, measured the roof, quoted you a standard price per square and then said a grand for the fascia. You're getting me excited thinking about that easy money. WHERE'S MY ROOFING GUN!

My favorite look for a metal roof are the 2x4 metal interlocking shingles. I just don't know how you would fix a problem with them. Ashpalt shingles are pretty easy to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.