Rookie coal questions -- clinker and coal types

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been burning a coal mix I got for free from someone who no longer burned coal in my Kodiak with pretty good results. It is a mix of sizes, from about 3" down to dust and everything in between. It is not very shiny, I'm guessing bituminous or softer anthracite. Anyway, I am emptying another basement from someone who gave up on coal. This is clean nut coal, shiny hard anthracite. It does burn cleaner when thrown on the fire, but I've been having some troubles with it. In the morning, the fire is out. It just looks like all of the coal is painted white and orange and still where I left it the night before. After a day or so of this I discovered that the bottom 4" or so of the coal bed was solid clinker. It seems as though very little ash will shake through the grate and is harder to get to full temperatue. I thought hard anthracite was better, why am I having do much trouble? I kind of got thrown into this when my oil burner blew up and I'm trying to learn on the fly. Thanks in advance for your help.

Coal, not burned hot enough, leaves clunkers and grate blockers.

That's my experience, any who.

How hot is your "base" bed of coals?

I've had that thing about 12 degrees hotter than the surface of the sun, that you couldn't get near it and would turn it down only very slightly and turn a fan on blowing at the stove to prevent damage, and it still does it. Also, I rarely got clinker larger than about 1" with the other coal and this I had a solid layer.

One other thing -- this coal as it burns gets a layer of ash on it and eventually goes out. If you break it open, there is still useable coal inside. The ash doesn't seem to fall off of the lumps. Any idea why that happens?

Bottom draft is the key to coal burning.

It's gotta get hot, then it can "cook". And it will cook.

What's you're "ash" situation? %-P

If you are getting a large clinker in the bottom that is a sure sign that the stove is being overfired. That Kodiak is a serious stove, it will burn coal like a champ once you get the hang of it. Join us over at nepacrossroads and we will get you on the right track.

Status
Not open for further replies.