1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Rookie learning experience

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Perfect Heat, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Perfect Heat

Perfect Heat Member

Loc:
    Ontario Canada
    Cool out side so I fired up. Checked system and found that the return temp was cool. Checked the circs valves etc. Everything looked fine. Found a cool spot at a 90 elbow. Looked like a blocked elbow. Good thing it was close to a union. Drained system and discovered elbow was clear. Turns out to be an air lock. So before you take apart, do a quick flush of system to clear air locks.

Thanks to Heaterman for recommending loctite 55. Stuff works great for rookies.

Terry

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hunderliggur

Hunderliggur Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lothian, MD
    Been there done that, welcome to the club. Next year when you start it for the first time make sure the circulator is turning. Mine needed a whack with a hammer to get it in the mood (after the boiler started to get a BIT too hot!). I suggest manually enabling your circulator to make sure the water is flowing, regardless if it is an air lock or a stuck circulator.