Rookie mistake- didn't check vent screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newf lover

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Eastern CT
I did a quick clean of my stove this weekend; I get lazy at the end of the year. Anyway,in the 2 days since the cleaning, the glass was already half black, brick was blackened and it had a floppy flame, etc. Decided to do a thorough cleaning. Once done with the stove itself, went out to the vent and the screen was plugged with ash. Duh, should have checked that first. I think what happened is I tried another pellet last week, my Turman's got jealous and got back at me by plugging up the screen. I can't think of any other reason because this rarely happens.

Reactions: st_pinetree
I'm afraid some creature would make it's way into the stove. Did you ever see the thread where someone found a squirrel stuck inside their stove? It was disgusting. I know it's unlikely, but I'd rather not deal with that.

I'm afraid some creature would make it's way into the stove. Did you ever see the thread where someone found a squirrel stuck inside their stove? It was disgusting. I know it's unlikely, but I'd rather not deal with that.
had a bird fly down the chimney in the summer I ended up adding a screen to my pipe. It was stuck in the exhaust fan so the stove would not start had to take apart the fan to get all the feathers out

Glad I have a screen on mine as I don't think I'd want to deal with squirrels, chipmunks, mice or moles finding their way in:eek:

Nothing is gonna find its way in during the winter when the stove is running most of the time. And during the summer, I put a pipe cap on the end of the vent to seal it up. Nothing is gonna get in then.

I guess everyone's setup is different.

Other than a jammed auger, the clogged screen is the second most frequent call we get.

Eric

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.