Rookie Mistake, Now I need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomask9590

Jun 9, 2008
Portland, ME
So I found a great deal on maple and oak, The guy was very nice. He sold me the wood for $150 a cord if I came and got it. I was so happy I grabbed 3 cord from him. Well this weekend I spit all of it. As I was splitting my buddy said,"Hey, some of this looks a little long" My Napoleon can take an 18" log....MAX.....I said naw it can probably handle a 19 or a 20. I measured the fire box and sure as anything, 18" MAX. I hate when the manual is correct. So now I have 2 cord or so that is all oversized. :grrr:

So my question is, Now that all the wood is split, do I cut it down to 18" or do I cut it in half and have 10" piece's?

I'm lazy. I'd only cut down half of it- the rest will fit angle-wise in the firebox, so for the fiures where you'll be there- you can feed them in that way.

For the others- I'd cut some off the end. You can fill the firebox more efficiently and have chunks left over to top-up or throw in the sides with the pieces going corner to corner. No prob. I had a woodpile cut to 20" or so 2years ago when I installed my insert that takes 18", and it worked out fine.

I agree to just cut off the ends of some of the wood. We had some 20" logs but the new stove takes 16" so we just cut off the ends. Warmer days we just threw in some end pieces to keep the stove going. Worked like a charm. Just make sure you have a saw horse for cutting. Makes it go much faster and a bit safer.

The shorter the faster it seasons...do both, cut some ends and some in half. Then keep scrounging for more wood!!! It never ends!!!

Cut off the ends with a chop saw. It's quick and easy. Save the ends for kindling or starters.

It's like a drug, I keep looking for more. I never thought I would see a downed limb and consider if it's worth cutting it up. I might even keep the saw in the truck ......just in case...... ;-)

The stihl is riding co-pilot with me today! Going for another load of oak after work.

Nice burntime!

I just got a bead on anouther cord, tree length. The wife is a little less impressed than I am.

Is it bad if I pass her up for a good truck load of maple? :coolgrin:

She will thank you in the winter when she is warm. I have been going like a maniac with odd jobs the last 3 weeks and am loosing out to the wood piles. If I do not start splitting and stacking I am going to be short this winter. I am jumping on the maple and elm for this year. The oak I will split when I get a chance, probably late summer for the following year.

Grab it fast!!! Better than maple and can almost burn it green! Oak if you have time, maple if time is limited and ash anytime cause it has great btu's and can be burned with little or no seasoning!!!

Occasionally I cut longer pierces but I stuff them in diagonally. sometimes I recut them in half but that is like very rarely.

I am having painful memories of season before last when I had to replace my stove in December. The new stove takes 18-19 inch max and I had six cords of seasoned 24" wood out back because that is what the old stove burned.

Pretty much every day I had to go out and cut the ends off of a day or two's wood. Bummer in the snow. The small stove in the basement office burned nothing but end chunks all winter.

Been there done that BB, went from a big cemi insert to the hampton. I still have about a courd and a half to cut down...I will be happy this winter when its seasoned though!!! I did bring home another load of oak in the ranger today!!! That think just keeps going!!!

TGun9590 said:
How about Ash, does that take long to season? Would it compare to maple or oak?
Ash only takes a couple months to season, and some say you can burn it green. Burns really hot, but fast, and leaves no coals. Great for start up fires, shoulder season burning, and just a burst of heat when you need it.

guess that i am the only here that went the other way when putting in a new stove the old on handled 17" max not N/S is 20" E/W is 18". now my only problem is i am way to used to cutting @ 17" so I get lots of short pieces.

but when I do get a long one I just cut it in half and use them for when someone is home and can load it more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.