rookie review Husq 235/neighbor help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Ok, let me start by saying most of you have forgotten more than I know about saws, but wanted to put my 2 cents in on this one.
I got this saw as a homeowner saw before I started woodburning. I was working in a tangled mess of dead red oak limbs, sass and locust on a thicketed hillside today. Buddy had my farmboss, waiting on a tensioner part for my Husq 350. Appreciated the light weight,and it ran VERY well. Would have had a hard time lugging the farmboss or 350. I was swimming.
This load took about a tank and a half, done in 1 fast grueling session. Cut more stuff still there buried in honeysuckle and poisin ivy.

Here's the Caveats:

- It took 2 trips to the dealer to get it tuned right, needs a special tool to tune. WHY? You can see the adjustment screws, and find tutorials on the web and sites like this to help you tune, but can't do a thing about it. I think I actually heard Edgar Hansen laughing at me.

- Also needs a star drive to take air cleaner off. Sig Hansen is yelling at me now because I'm not being productive.

-little brass nut holding screen & cover fell off during first use. Lost the whole trio. D'oh!

-I don't think the single plastic knob and chain tensioner are a good idea. easy for rookies, though.

- Paid 235 last year, now they are only 200 at TSC and online tool giants "Refurbished" (Tuned up?)
why would a piece of OPE go down in price? HMMM....

UPSHOT: Probably a lot of these on CL now for 100-125 bucks Because of this. Probably worth that if u get the adjust tool and climb for small limbing jobs a lot., or as a camp / trail/ or loaner saw.
Probably keeping it for my neighbor kid to learn with in a few years. He's 12, 5'8", 165, size 12 shoes. Loves to help - the job today was for his mom's pile. She has a dragon and usually gets wet wood delivered, leaves it in a pile. NO MAS!

By the way, I LOVE the older Husky 350 I got on CL. Just Love it. I'd buy a big husky in the future with no qualms. Also LOVE my husky weed trimmer. It's a true warrior and was a great value. So i ain't bashing huskies at all.

About half of the wood in these piles (hers) was cut with this saw, and a pic of today's haul.
temporary.jpg

temporary-3.jpg

BTW- cut the sass log long to use as a base for her new stack. Figure it won't rot and I can split it next year

I cannot really complain about my Husky 350 -- it has cut a whole bunch of wood. While not the biggest and baddest saw out there, it has met my needs and been pretty reliable. Just watch your muffler bolts -- I went for years without issues before they loosened up. Other folks go just a few weeks before they loosen up.

Reactions: pen
Like my 350 also - $125 craiglist score. Only needed a $8 tensioner after a few tanks.

I can't stick up for the husky 235..... it is basically a POS plastic homeowner saw. Choked up by the EPA and meant to sell at a cheap price. Glad it cut some wood for you though.

All saw manufacturers have "these" saws......even the one's that sell through certified dealers only.

Reactions: amateur cutter
I can't stick up for the husky 235..... it is basically a POS plastic homeowner saw. Choked up by the EPA and meant to sell at a cheap price. Glad it cut some wood for you though.

All saw manufacturers have "these" saws......even the one's that sell through certified dealers only.

Yep, & if I'm goin up a tree it's gonna be with a saw that wont need retuning, chain tensioned, or have parts falling off. Not dissin that little saw, but I want my top handle, short bar, lanyard, & all the cc's I can get in that little package when I'm eyeball deep in brush & crap. Sadly, I still haven't sprung for the MS 200 T, so still using the 192T.

Good job on getting the job done, & helping some one out. That says a lot! A C

Reactions: ScotO
Oh...dis away! If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have got it, but can't see getting more than 100 bucks back out of it now... <> gonna loan it / use it for dirty jobs till it gives up the ghost.

I had a 435 (same saw basically) for about a year and then won a 235 in a Raffle at my Local Hardware store last year.

Both about the same (had the same exact manual 435/235). For what they are worth, its better than a lot of Wal-Mart Saws.

Its like buying a MS 170 or 180. Its still a top tier saw Manufacturer and still gets good dealer support. Take a Poulon back to HD and ask them to tune it for you ;).

They (homeowner models) still have there plus sides. I bought one and traded for a Log Length of a few Cord last year. The 235 I won, I gave to my Uncle last November for Christmas. Decent saws for the average/light user.

My 435-T is up front, 435 is behind it, 455 behind it, and 036 in the Way back. Then the 235 I gave away with the hard case, oil, hats, etc it came with. All the Huskys are gone but the 455 and its up for sale as of yesterday. :) MS 260 to take its place (yep, that just happened A C ;))

47173-403b72454454b6bb38b6245f4bb67efb.jpg Raffle.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
;)
I had a 435 (same saw basically) for about a year and then won a 235 in a Raffle at my Local Hardware store last year.

Both about the same (had the same exact manual 435/235). For what they are worth, its better than a lot of Wal-Mart Saws.

Its like buying a MS 170 or 180. Its still a top tier saw Manufacturer and still gets good dealer support. Take a Poulon back to HD and ask them to tune it for you ;).

They (homeowner models) still have there plus sides. I bought one and traded for a Log Length of a few Cord last year. The 235 I won, I gave to my Uncle last November for Christmas. Decent saws for the average/light user.

My 435-T is up front, 435 is behind it, 455 behind it, and 036 in the Way back. Then the 235 I gave away with the hard case, oil, hats, etc it came with. All the Huskys are gone but the 455 and its up for sale as of yesterday. :) MS 260 to take its place (yep, that just happened A C ;))

View attachment 71139 View attachment 71140
are you sure you ain't working for both Stihl and Husqvarna's PR departments, Dex? Your equipment as photo'ed is top notch. How the hell do you keep them so clean, while still using them to cut wood?!? I AM IMPRESSED! ;)

;)
are you sure you ain't working for both Stihl and Husqvarna's PR departments, Dex? Your equipment as photo'ed is top notch. How the hell do you keep them so clean, while still using them to cut wood?!? I AM IMPRESSED! ;)

He doesn't use em Scotty, they're just for show. He cuts all his wood with a wild thingy so he doesn't get the good saws dirty.:p

Hey Dex if you get sick of me doggin ya about those saws, just say so.;)

Speaking of dogs, that's nice looking specimen in the pic. A C

Osage, I'm pretty sure this is the screwdriver you need to tune your saw. Most of the Poulan, McCulloch, and Homelite saws sold at the box stores (including most weedeaters too) use this tool to tune the carb. I have one, and it has paid for itself many times over. Just made 10 bucks on it yesterday tuning up a crappy Poulan Wild Thing for a guy who was going to throw it in the garbage. Saw runs great now.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Splined-car...411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4168e17d6b

If you're gonna get serious, you are going to eventually want to get a pro saw. A Stihl MS260, 290, 360....or maybe a Husky 346XP, or a 372XP. Those saws will impress the CHIT out of ya!

He doesn't use em Scotty, they're just for show. He cuts all his wood with a wild thingy so he doesn't get the good saws dirty.:p

Hey Dex if you get sick of me doggin ya about those saws, just say so.;)

Speaking of dogs, that's nice looking specimen in the pic. A C

Never get tired of it.... I keep EVERYTHING clean.

I am OCD about everything being clean. That damn 260 is gonna need some new parts! ! ! ! Just so I can take a pic of it ;)

I am OCD about everything being clean. That damn 260 is gonna need some new parts! ! ! ! Just so I can take a pic of it ;)
LMFAO! I'm just bustin yer butt, brother......I love seeing your toys, I only WISH I could keep my stuff that clean! I will say this, all my stuff runs better than new, I can't keep my hands from tinkering on everything I own.

LMFAO! I'm just bustin yer butt, brother......I love seeing your toys, I only WISH I could keep my stuff that clean! I will say this, all my stuff runs better than new, I can't keep my hands from tinkering on everything I own.

I have not always been like this...........

The 400 EX was in a Box in the corner of my garage for almost 2 yrs before I did it up the 1st time. I have also rolled and totaled a few vehicles and let stuff deteriorate.

Its taken a few years, but I have slowly realized if I want my stuff to last (watched my ATV's get run into the dirt/ literally) that I have to take care of it. Do I take to good care of it. Probably.

As you said Scotty, your Chit runs and will last with the best (and I KNOW this) and the same with AC. Its kept up and runs like a #&$%# Ape.

Its honestly a problem. OCD is no joke. When you have/want to do something. It HAS to be done.

My wife was making fun of me for resealing the Ceiling fan box after I opened it last week (was waiting a couple days before install) and she asked why? My response? "You cant be OCD without being OCD about your OCD". I them placed tape over the seams so the box was closed and appeared to be new. Sad but true. :(

[knocks on wood] 10 years and going - my Husky 350 is running strong. I decided to buy something a bit more 'professional' after my little craftsman died...wow night and day difference. The only big mod I did on the husky was to grind the 'tabs' off the carb adjustment screws to give it the full range of adjustment the EPA didn't think it needed. Well, that and a little muffler mod...and a good chain, sharpened after every tank. Other than that, just just feed it good bar oil and run on at least 10% ethanol gas to keep the fuel system clean. Runs as good now, or actually a little better than it did when I got it!

Reactions: osagebow
Have a couple of lil Husky 142s, the 235 with a different label, for several years now and for my old wore out ass they are my go to lite saws for a lot of stuff they weren't designed for. They have kicked many a cord of oak ass on this place. Got the tuning tool for six bucks on eBay. Shipping included.

Attachments

• little 142 big oak.jpg
    little 142 big oak.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: osagebow
Hey Dex, don't waste the money on new parts, just take the saw apart & wash the parts in the wife's dishwasher. It works really well, I've done it. May wanna wait till she's gone for a day or two though, mine was not really impressed, but the saw came out nice. A C

Reactions: DexterDay
Well BB, that's certainly using a saw to it's fullest potential.:oops:

Scotty / Bart - thanks - didn't know 1 tool was useable for most saws and trimmers- definitely gonna get one then. My farmboss and used 350 were both tuned ok when i got them.
My poulan screams no matter how it's tuned LOL...just got it running again. Bought that 10 years ago.

Dexter - you couldn't be more right.Gotta take care of stuff. I grew up in a family that just beat stuff into the ground, started seein' the light when I moved away and had 2 expensive kids!

Maybe that's it, he has some "Sunday Best" parts for photo shoots and "work clothes" for the actual work! ;)

Hey Dex, don't waste the money on new parts, just take the saw apart & wash the parts in the wife's dishwasher. It works really well, I've done it. May wanna wait till she's gone for a day or two though, mine was not really impressed, but the saw came out nice. A C

My wife wants to know why the dishwasher pump makes a funny noise now... (true story ;) ) Must be 'cause I ran a load of Husky parts through it..... >>

Reactions: ScotO and rkshed
Maybe that's it, he has some "Sunday Best" parts for photo shoots and "work clothes" for the actual work! ;)

My wife wants to know why the dishwasher pump makes a funny noise now... (true story ;) ) Must be 'cause I ran a load of Husky parts through it..... >>

Haa haa!
My wife has written on every funnel in the kitchen "Rick, this is not for you to use in the garage".
Seems they used to disappear on her...

Reactions: Realstone
As jake mentioned w/ your 350, watch those muffler bolts! I'd put an allen wrench in the box with your other saw tools and check them when the saw is cool each day before starting to cut.

I too went years without a problem on my 350 then 2 years ago it began. Had new bolts installed and the threads helicoiled but it gave me problems again 2 weeks ago (and a bunch inbetween). Helicoils were OK after things loosened up this time so I put new bolts in and had the bolts very carefully tack welded to the muffler. ( I didn't try it myself because it's thin metal and I'm not that great on the welder).

Hopefully that will hold it. Tried star washers under the bolts last time and that didn't do the trick. I figure if the muffler has to come off for work, I can grind the welds, or in a worst case, get a new muffler. Rather have to do that than to have the saw go worthless on me yet in the field again.

pen

Loctite will not hold while the saw is hot. Loctite is designed to release it's hold when heated. There are formulas that hold at higher temps however but you run the risk of never getting the bolts out again. :confused:

Reactions: pen
Loctite will not hold while the saw is hot. Loctite is designed to release it's hold when heated. There are formulas that hold at higher temps however but you run the risk of never getting the bolts out again. :confused:

Yep, tried the blue and failure. Tried the red, still failure. After the red failed is when I had helicoils put in and used star washers under the bolt heads; failure again.

Hoping the tack of weld will due the trick. I figure I should be able to grind it off in the future since they are allen bolts to get it off if need be. If not, it will cost me a muffler. But, that's better than getting stuck with a failure when I've devoted time to cutting and the rest of the saw is up to par.

The husky dealer (who is a good friend) told me since he sold me that saw he figures almost 50% of the 350's he has sold have come back with the same problem. For most, the helicoils and star washers did the trick.

Oh well, I bought the saw when it was a new enough model that this problem wasn't showing up yet. Went 3 or 4 years without and issue on it. Guess I really can't complain. Just hate seeing an otherwise solid piece of equipment have an issue.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.