Rookie thinking of Cape Cod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check with your local inspecting authority to see if this will be an issue or not.
Here in Indiana, you couldn't get someone out to inspect an install for nothin. They would say to just check with your insurance, and then they send a guy out that is clueless most of the time.:rolleyes:

To save money and experiment for the first season, turn the kitchen ceiling fan on in reverse (blows upward), low speed. Then put a table or box fan in the living room, placed on the floor, pointing toward the woodstove. Run it on low speed. It will blow the cooler air down low, toward the woodstove. The denser cool air will be replaced with lighter warm air from the stove room. Running this way you should notice at least a 5F increase in the LR temp after about 15-30 minutes running.

Pulled the trigger on the Cape Cod today. Two to three weeks for delivery. Looking forward burning wood, being warm and giving less money to my electric co-op.

Pulled the trigger on the Cape Cod today. Two to three weeks for delivery. Looking forward burning wood, being warm and giving less money to my electric co-op.
Right on! You'll love it!

That stove is a looker and from what webby says, a performer as well. Congrats! :cool:
How's your wood supply? My first year was very frustrating due to poor quality wood.
If you live in my area, I know a guy that has some pretty dry wood....

I had a lot of downed oak (2 cord) and cut probably 2 additional cord of black locust and walnut around June 1. The oak is plenty dry. I'm hoping to get into the heavily wooded area soon and get the numerous downed black locust trees bucked up. I'm probably behind a bit, but should be able to go easy this winter and be ready to go by next.

I'm in central Indiana BTW Woody Stover. Might be interested in talking to your guy.

I'm in central Indiana BTW Woody Stover. Might be interested in talking to your guy.
That's gonna be about 3 hrs. away. :(

That's a really nice stove.. I'll never forget walking in the stove shop by me and seeing that big boy just glaring at me with that big glass door.. a big stove, but,,,, a really nice looking stove as well...not just a big black box... I'm sure your going to love burning wood in your Cape Cod! Keep us posted ;)

Webby3650

What are your thoughts on a blower for my situation. I've heard this stove kicks out heat like a mo fo, but I still have time to add a blower. I figured I could make it work without, but appreciate your thoughts.

I'd like to give one a try! I haven't really needed one though and I'm heating 2200 square feet. I think it would be nice on extra cold mornings or when I come home to a cold house. But, I also have no other heat source.

I will probably get one before winter just to try it out. Ill be sure to let you know how it does.
I can say that the blower on the Blaze King made a huge difference! It made the stove in my opinion!

Webby3650

What are your thoughts on a blower for my situation. I've heard this stove kicks out heat like a mo fo, but I still have time to add a blower. I figured I could make it work without, but appreciate your thoughts.

I think it would be a lot cheaper (and more effective) to buy a $30 desk fan and blow cool air into the stove room than it would be to buy a blower for the stove.

I think it would be a lot cheaper (and more effective) to buy a $30 desk fan and blow cool air into the stove room than it would be to buy a blower for the stove.

A fan works, but it's no replacement for a blower. I have had lots of stoves that don't have a blower, and a few with a blower, the blower generally makes a pretty big difference.

Depends on the stove and the stove placement. For our house which convects naturally pretty well, the blower was just gilding the lily. We could definitely do without it. I would try it without the blower first. It's an expensive accessory. Best to see if you need it first. If you do, add it on.

Looks like a hell of a blower on the Cape Cod...that sucker is huge. I'd get one if I got one...

Reactions: charly
I had that same blower on a Country S210 stove years ago... That fan will really move some heated air on high. Nice thing is that type of fan over a squirrel cage is really quiet especially on a low speed .. The Cape Cod video shows some big time heat coming off of the stove once the fan is on testing with IR heat gun... I'd get the fan,,, it's also a nice way to cool the stove if it should run away during the learning curve.. In fact in the video they were saying to get the full potential of the stove you should get the blower.. I'd use it to push some initial heat around and then maybe turn it off if it wasn't needed..

Reactions: webby3650
Let us know how she heats!

Status
Not open for further replies.