Room air fliter for pet hair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boo boo

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2012
So. NH
Does anyone use a room air filter for pet hair and dust close to their stove?
I just cleaned my Distribution fan and could not believe all of the cat hair that was in there. I know its a vacuum for the air and don't want to have air restriction to the stove with a filter for the blower but does anyone use a room air purifier close to the stove for this. I searched some threads but didn't find much. If I could get 50% of what of what I found in there I would be happy.
Just wondering if anyone has had success with one or something home made.

And getting rid of the cats is not an option.

....get rid of the cats .....

OK, scratch idea #1. <>

A few stoves have air filters, but besides having a room air filter/purifier nearby, there's not a lot you can do besides clean the blower often. I tried putting all types of different filter media over the fan intake, but everything I tried cut the airflow down way too much.

Reactions: Brokenwing
I probably need to pull mine apart, been 3 years and the dog drops hair worse than a balding man.

I just realized this is pellet stove land. I was talking about my wood stove. It has 2 fans that pull air from behind the stove and blow over the top.

3 YEARS?????? !!! Nope, I'm not going to say it.......

Spring tonic kickin' in, Nate ?????????????

All of the room air filters i've seen are for small particles floating in the air. I doubt they'd pull much animal hair out, since it usually hits the floor pretty quickly. I have a large rug in front of my stove, and vacuum it often. There is very little dust or hair in the room fan when I clean it. We don't have any pets, though, so no pet hair, but this place is pretty dusty and the fans stay quite clean. I assume the rug catches most of the dust on its way to the stove.

Does anyone use a room air filter for pet hair and dust close to their stove?
I just cleaned my Distribution fan and could not believe all of the cat hair that was in there. I know its a vacuum for the air and don't want to have air restriction to the stove with a filter for the blower but does anyone use a room air purifier close to the stove for this. I searched some threads but didn't find much. If I could get 50% of what of what I found in there I would be happy.
Just wondering if anyone has had success with one or something home made.

And getting rid of the cats is not an option.

If you couldn`t believe the cat hair in that, try removing that plastic grill in front on the bottom of the fridge! :eek: How do I know? I got three cats running around the house like rabid squirrels thats how. ;lol Those lint lizard things work pretty good to get in there and suck out the dust bunnies. Keeping those coils clear on the fridge makes it work not as hard and can help on the electric bill as well! :)

The only thing I can think of that would be effective with pet hair that requires minimal human input would be a Roomba or Neato Robotics Vacuum... but they're pricey<>

http://www.robotshop.com/neato-robotics-robot-vacuums.html
Guess I'll find out soon enough how annoying dog hair is with the pellet stove - got a new hairy beast...
Schatzi 3-2013 (588x800).jpg

and the dog too? ;)

Hubby says it's a good thing I like big, dumb animals ... otherwise why would I have put up with him all these years?:) Our rottie has been gone for about two years and the newfie passed away about 2 1/2 years ago. This girl is a year old and has minimal manners but we're improving over the last week we have had her.

Hello Boo Boo

I tried these little screens and they work great on a Convection Blower! the mesh area is too big and not too small! Just remember to keep the dust wiped off!
http://www.eastcoasthearth.com/1_124_Convection-Blower-Dust-Screen.html

There is no question that these screens are effective. They come on the convection blowers from the factory on the Englander 25-PFS hybrid pellet stove manufactured in the early 90s and I have seen some of these stoves with the original blowers still running!

Hello Boo Boo

I tried these little screens and they work great on a Convection Blower! the mesh area is too big and not too small! Just remember to keep the dust wiped off!
http://www.eastcoasthearth.com/1_124_Convection-Blower-Dust-Screen.html

There is no question that these screens are effective. They come on the convection blowers from the factory on the Englander 25-PFS hybrid pellet stove manufactured in the early 90s and I have seen some of these stoves with the original blowers still running!
Thanks Don This is kind of what I was thinking of but was unsure. My blower has an open cover held on with 4 screws but no screen. I have some left over 1/4 inch screen that I used last summer to make a loam sifter that I will trim down and try and check it daily when I am filling the stove. My home is dusty and we are constantly trying to keep up with it. This morning when the sun was shining through the deck sliding glass doors and the cats were trying to impress each other I could see the dust and hair in the sunlight heading toward the stove

Thanks Don This is kind of what I was thinking of but was unsure. My blower has an open cover held on with 4 screws but no screen. I have some left over 1/4 inch screen that I used last summer to make a loam sifter that I will trim down and try and check it daily when I am filling the stove. My home is dusty and we are constantly trying to keep up with it. This morning when the sun was shining through the deck sliding glass doors and the cats were trying to impress each other I could see the dust and hair in the sunlight heading toward the stove

The 1/4" screen might work.

These screens that are painted black to match the convection blowers are much heavier steel than screening material for longer life.
Also they are easy to remove when giving the squirrel cage it's yearly cleaning.

My friend's old Earth stove has a ¼" mesh over the room blower intake. It was in an out-of-sight place, so didn't get cleaned and collected a thick mat of hair/dust which almost completely stopped the airflow. Point is? A mesh does trap crud, but needs to be cleaned - but we all knew that already.

My friend's old Earth stove has a ¼" mesh over the room blower intake. It was in an out-of-sight place, so didn't get cleaned and collected a thick mat of hair/dust which almost completely stopped the airflow. Point is? A mesh does trap crud, but needs to be cleaned - but we all knew that already.

Two real cases I have seen:
1. Englander 25-PFS with a layer of dust over the screen on the room blower like what you saw.
2. Enviro EF-2i - No screen and so booged down with dust and pet hair you could not see between the blades of the squirrel cage.

The Enviro blower ceased up and had to be replaced and the Englander screen was cleaned and the original blower is still running.

So do you think the motor manufacturer's would rather sell more blowers? Is that why we do not see these screens much anymore?

That would probably be up to the stove manufacturer, IMO. They might just be looking to save the $2 a screen might cost, as well as a few minutes' labor. Or maybe they just assume the dust and hair just blow through the stove. Maybe.

That would probably be up to the stove manufacturer, IMO. They might just be looking to save the $2 a screen might cost, as well as a few minutes' labor. Or maybe they just assume the dust and hair just blow through the stove. Maybe.

Yes, but either way the stove owner suffers!

Status
Not open for further replies.